Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Neile Mackhone

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2002
      cwrichmond wrote:

      > Harvard's University has some records, but they won't let the general public
      > see them. I've been trying for over a year.

      Yes, you have to be a member or alumnus/a of the University to use the
      libraries.

      But what does Harvard have that is unique? Can you find it in the
      On-Line catalog, HOLLIS?

      bob gillis
    • cwrichmond
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2002
        According to the book I purchased from Scotpress, the list of passengers
        aboard the "John and Sarah" (of London, John Greene, master, bount for New
        England) includes Neile Mackane. There is a note which says "The persons
        afore named past from hence in the ship afore mentioned and are according to
        order Registered heare. dat. Search office, Gravesend 8th November 1651."
        Searchers included Giles Barrow, Edward Peeling, and John Morris. The list
        contains 261 names, but Becx in a subsequent letter said that Capt. Greene
        'had with him 240 Scotts.' The additional number may have been embarked at
        the last moment before sailing.

        This information, according to the footnote, came from the Accounts of Lynn
        Iron Works, fol. 39. Baker Library, Harvard University.

        Lucille Richmond
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 11, 2002
          Harvard has original records of many, many Scots prisoners. I understand
          that you must be doing work OTHER THAN GENEALOGY to access them.

          Lucille Richmond

          > Harvard's University has some records, but they won't let the general
          public
          > see them. I've been trying for over a year.

          Yes, you have to be a member or alumnus/a of the University to use the
          libraries.

          But what does Harvard have that is unique? Can you find it in the
          On-Line catalog, HOLLIS?

          ---
        • JennyCone@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
            Tom,

            Do you have documentation for the information you noted about Neile Mackhone?
            I have long thought that he was connected to a man of that name who is in
            Isle of Wight County, VA by 1680; however, I have been unable to find proof. I
            have also been unable to prove that the Cones who appear in NC by 1728 are
            related. The proximity (NE counties of NC) to VA would lend credence to the theory
            and some on the Internet have stated it as fact, but to my knowledge, no proof
            has been found to establish a connection. I am most interested in your
            information, for I have been researching this name for years and have about given up
            hope of finding anything further.

            A DNA project among a number of Cone males completed several years ago
            determined that there was no common progenitor for Daniel Cone of Connecticut and
            the several Southern lines.

            Best regards,
            Jennifer

          • Tom Cone
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
              > A DNA project among a number of Cone males completed
              > several years ago
              > determined that there was no common progenitor for
              > Daniel Cone of Connecticut and
              > the several Southern lines.

              I've heard about that test. While my knowledge of
              genetic biology is limited, it couldn't possibly be
              wholely accurate. At some point in the past that
              would break down.

              Wait... I heard about a test regarding some of the
              North Carolina Cones, which would only help support
              the idea that Daniel and Neile could've been brothers.

              If you have further information, let me know.

              http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree