Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Neile Mackhone

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11 5:50 AM
      JennyCone@... wrote:

      > My interest is in Neile Mackhone and whether he can be linked to the Neil
      > MacCone who is in Isle of Wight County, VA in the late 1600's. Where would
      > one look for records of indenture? Is Essex Co., Mass. one of the locations?
      > Where have records been found?

      There was a Neile Machone of the John and Sarah per the Web Site. One of
      the English sources says that the John and Sarah departed Gravesend with
      Scottish prisoners for New England and Barbados. It is possible that
      the ship with some of the prisoners called in Virginia on the way to
      Barbados or some of the prisoners migrated later fro Barbados to
      Virginia.

      There are a number of postings on genealgy.com about scottish prisoners
      that anyone interested in those that came ot America should read.

      I do not know of indenture records but will look into them.

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11 5:51 AM
        cwrichmond wrote:

        > Harvard's University has some records, but they won't let the general public
        > see them. I've been trying for over a year.

        Yes, you have to be a member or alumnus/a of the University to use the
        libraries.

        But what does Harvard have that is unique? Can you find it in the
        On-Line catalog, HOLLIS?

        bob gillis
      • cwrichmond
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 11 7:32 AM
          According to the book I purchased from Scotpress, the list of passengers
          aboard the "John and Sarah" (of London, John Greene, master, bount for New
          England) includes Neile Mackane. There is a note which says "The persons
          afore named past from hence in the ship afore mentioned and are according to
          order Registered heare. dat. Search office, Gravesend 8th November 1651."
          Searchers included Giles Barrow, Edward Peeling, and John Morris. The list
          contains 261 names, but Becx in a subsequent letter said that Capt. Greene
          'had with him 240 Scotts.' The additional number may have been embarked at
          the last moment before sailing.

          This information, according to the footnote, came from the Accounts of Lynn
          Iron Works, fol. 39. Baker Library, Harvard University.

          Lucille Richmond
          > My interest is in Neile Mackhone and whether he can be linked to the Neil
          > MacCone who is in Isle of Wight County, VA in the late 1600's. Where
          would
          > one look for records of indenture? Is Essex Co., Mass. one of the
          locations?
          > Where have records been found?

          There was a Neile Machone of the John and Sarah per the Web Site. One of
          the English sources says that the John and Sarah departed Gravesend with
          Scottish prisoners for New England and Barbados. It is possible that
          the ship with some of the prisoners called in Virginia on the way to
          Barbados or some of the prisoners migrated later fro Barbados to
          Virginia.

          There are a number of postings on genealgy.com about scottish prisoners
          that anyone interested in those that came ot America should read.

          I do not know of indenture records but will look into them.

          ---
        • cwrichmond
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 11 7:33 AM
            Harvard has original records of many, many Scots prisoners. I understand
            that you must be doing work OTHER THAN GENEALOGY to access them.

            Lucille Richmond

          • JennyCone@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
              Tom,

              Do you have documentation for the information you noted about Neile Mackhone?
              I have long thought that he was connected to a man of that name who is in
              Isle of Wight County, VA by 1680; however, I have been unable to find proof. I
              have also been unable to prove that the Cones who appear in NC by 1728 are
              related. The proximity (NE counties of NC) to VA would lend credence to the theory
              and some on the Internet have stated it as fact, but to my knowledge, no proof
              has been found to establish a connection. I am most interested in your
              information, for I have been researching this name for years and have about given up
              hope of finding anything further.

              A DNA project among a number of Cone males completed several years ago
              determined that there was no common progenitor for Daniel Cone of Connecticut and
              the several Southern lines.

              Best regards,
              Jennifer

            • Tom Cone
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
                > A DNA project among a number of Cone males completed
                > several years ago
                > determined that there was no common progenitor for
                > Daniel Cone of Connecticut and
                > the several Southern lines.

                I've heard about that test. While my knowledge of
                genetic biology is limited, it couldn't possibly be
                wholely accurate. At some point in the past that
                would break down.

                Wait... I heard about a test regarding some of the
                North Carolina Cones, which would only help support
                the idea that Daniel and Neile could've been brothers.

                If you have further information, let me know.

                http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree