Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Daniel Davison, Sr. , Covenanter

  • Larry Highman
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9 8:08 AM
      Welcome to the list. It has been a pretty quiet list, but we do have a lot
      of members. Maybe this would be a good time for everyone to introduce
      themselves.
      My ancestor is Daniel Cone. He was born in Edinburgh (according to his
      death certificate) in 1626. The family history is that he was taken
      prisoner at the Battle of Dunbar and taken to the colonies. He does not
      seem to have served an indenture. He cofounded the town of Haddam CT. We
      found a Daniel Mac Hoe on the passenger list of the John and Mary, so some
      think he changed his name. The only problem with that is that these
      passengers were taken at Worcester. I went to Scotland and tried to get
      some information. I thought I had some, but it could not be verified.
      Who wants to be next?
      Jan

      >From: "collinsandiego" <collinsandiego@...>
      >To: ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Daniel Davison, Sr. , Covenanter
      >Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 23:55:26 -0000
      >
      >I JUST FOUND THIS SITE TODAY and I have great hopes. Daniel was born
      >in 1630 in Scotland and died 1693 in Wenham, Essex Co. Mass. One of
      >his grandsons changed the name to Davisson. Others kept the original
      >spelling.
      >Those of us who have been researching his descendents (Both
      >spellings) have sought in vain for seventy years to find his
      >antecedents in Scotland, although a mistake concerning parentage from
      >a Nicholas Davison keeps rearing its ugly head.(Not a shred of truth
      >in it)
      >Daniel was captured at either the Battle of Dunbar or Worcester, and
      >brought to this country about 1651 as an indentured man to work at
      >the Lynn Ironworks in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
      >Family historian A.H. Davison travelled to Scotland in the 1920's to
      >research the problem, but had no luck finding prisoner lists or other
      >pertinent documents. Hopefully, somewhere a passenger or prisoner
      >list has been found that will give us a new beginning.
      >HELP!

      Jan and Larry Highman
      Your Medieval Merchants http://www.galaxymall.com/product/tents
      http://www.galaxymall.com/books/medieval

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9 2:41 PM
        The 1651 ship was the John and Sarah and one version of the list of the
        passengers can be found in the NEHGR Vol 1 Page 378 & 9. However there
        is no Daniel Davison listed although there are a few Daniels with
        illegible names.

        I found a few references to a Daniel Davison/Davidson of Essex County in
        the NEHGR Vol 1 -20. 1847 - 1866.

        Do a Google search on the John and Sarah. You will find a web site on
        it.

        Where was there a reference to his being Scottish? My John Browne, who
        is listed on the John and Sarah as John Brow, was mentioned in a deed as
        being a Scotchman.

        A book on the Saugus Iron Works says that there is no evidence that any
        of the 1651 Scottish prisoners ever worked at Saugus or Braintree. The
        iron works was rather moribund by 1651 and I think most of the men
        became indentured servants in Boston and vicinity. My John Brown
        married the daughter of a fairly prosperous man, Thomas Makepeace,
        within three years of his arrival in Boston. In 1708 a Daniel Davison
        was sheriff of Newbury, probably not your Daniel but perhaps his son. I
        think many of the Scots were not peasants.

        bob gillis

        collinsandiego wrote:

        > I JUST FOUND THIS SITE TODAY and I have great hopes. Daniel was born
        > in 1630 in Scotland and died 1693 in Wenham, Essex Co. Mass. One of
        > his grandsons changed the name to Davisson. Others kept the original
        > spelling.
        > Those of us who have been researching his descendents (Both
        > spellings) have sought in vain for seventy years to find his
        > antecedents in Scotland, although a mistake concerning parentage from
        > a Nicholas Davison keeps rearing its ugly head.(Not a shred of truth
        > in it)
        > Daniel was captured at either the Battle of Dunbar or Worcester, and
        > brought to this country about 1651 as an indentured man to work at
        > the Lynn Ironworks in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
        > Family historian A.H. Davison travelled to Scotland in the 1920's to
        > research the problem, but had no luck finding prisoner lists or other
        > pertinent documents. Hopefully, somewhere a passenger or prisoner
        > list has been found that will give us a new beginning.
        > HELP!

      • Heather M. Metheny
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9 6:12 PM
          Hi all - Please - when you respond to someone's message, please make sure
          your response goes to that person, not to the entire list - THANKS

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/