Daniel Davison, Sr. , Covenanter

  • collinsandiego
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8 4:55 PM
      I JUST FOUND THIS SITE TODAY and I have great hopes. Daniel was born
      in 1630 in Scotland and died 1693 in Wenham, Essex Co. Mass. One of
      his grandsons changed the name to Davisson. Others kept the original
      spelling.
      Those of us who have been researching his descendents (Both
      spellings) have sought in vain for seventy years to find his
      antecedents in Scotland, although a mistake concerning parentage from
      a Nicholas Davison keeps rearing its ugly head.(Not a shred of truth
      in it)
      Daniel was captured at either the Battle of Dunbar or Worcester, and
      brought to this country about 1651 as an indentured man to work at
      the Lynn Ironworks in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
      Family historian A.H. Davison travelled to Scotland in the 1920's to
      research the problem, but had no luck finding prisoner lists or other
      pertinent documents. Hopefully, somewhere a passenger or prisoner
      list has been found that will give us a new beginning.
      HELP!
    • Larry Highman
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9 8:08 AM
        Welcome to the list. It has been a pretty quiet list, but we do have a lot
        of members. Maybe this would be a good time for everyone to introduce
        themselves.
        My ancestor is Daniel Cone. He was born in Edinburgh (according to his
        death certificate) in 1626. The family history is that he was taken
        prisoner at the Battle of Dunbar and taken to the colonies. He does not
        seem to have served an indenture. He cofounded the town of Haddam CT. We
        found a Daniel Mac Hoe on the passenger list of the John and Mary, so some
        think he changed his name. The only problem with that is that these
        passengers were taken at Worcester. I went to Scotland and tried to get
        some information. I thought I had some, but it could not be verified.
        Who wants to be next?
        Jan

        >From: "collinsandiego" <collinsandiego@...>
        >To: ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Daniel Davison, Sr. , Covenanter
        >Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 23:55:26 -0000
        >
        >I JUST FOUND THIS SITE TODAY and I have great hopes. Daniel was born
        >in 1630 in Scotland and died 1693 in Wenham, Essex Co. Mass. One of
        >his grandsons changed the name to Davisson. Others kept the original
        >spelling.
        >Those of us who have been researching his descendents (Both
        >spellings) have sought in vain for seventy years to find his
        >antecedents in Scotland, although a mistake concerning parentage from
        >a Nicholas Davison keeps rearing its ugly head.(Not a shred of truth
        >in it)
        >Daniel was captured at either the Battle of Dunbar or Worcester, and
        >brought to this country about 1651 as an indentured man to work at
        >the Lynn Ironworks in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
        >Family historian A.H. Davison travelled to Scotland in the 1920's to
        >research the problem, but had no luck finding prisoner lists or other
        >pertinent documents. Hopefully, somewhere a passenger or prisoner
        >list has been found that will give us a new beginning.
        >HELP!

        Jan and Larry Highman
        Your Medieval Merchants http://www.galaxymall.com/product/tents
        http://www.galaxymall.com/books/medieval

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9 2:41 PM
          The 1651 ship was the John and Sarah and one version of the list of the
          passengers can be found in the NEHGR Vol 1 Page 378 & 9. However there
          is no Daniel Davison listed although there are a few Daniels with
          illegible names.

          I found a few references to a Daniel Davison/Davidson of Essex County in
          the NEHGR Vol 1 -20. 1847 - 1866.

          Do a Google search on the John and Sarah. You will find a web site on
          it.

          Where was there a reference to his being Scottish? My John Browne, who
          is listed on the John and Sarah as John Brow, was mentioned in a deed as
          being a Scotchman.

          A book on the Saugus Iron Works says that there is no evidence that any
          of the 1651 Scottish prisoners ever worked at Saugus or Braintree. The
          iron works was rather moribund by 1651 and I think most of the men
          became indentured servants in Boston and vicinity. My John Brown
          married the daughter of a fairly prosperous man, Thomas Makepeace,
          within three years of his arrival in Boston. In 1708 a Daniel Davison
          was sheriff of Newbury, probably not your Daniel but perhaps his son. I
          think many of the Scots were not peasants.

          bob gillis

          collinsandiego wrote:

          > I JUST FOUND THIS SITE TODAY and I have great hopes. Daniel was born
          > in 1630 in Scotland and died 1693 in Wenham, Essex Co. Mass. One of
          > his grandsons changed the name to Davisson. Others kept the original
          > spelling.
          > Those of us who have been researching his descendents (Both
          > spellings) have sought in vain for seventy years to find his
          > antecedents in Scotland, although a mistake concerning parentage from
          > a Nicholas Davison keeps rearing its ugly head.(Not a shred of truth
          > in it)
          > Daniel was captured at either the Battle of Dunbar or Worcester, and
          > brought to this country about 1651 as an indentured man to work at
          > the Lynn Ironworks in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
          > Family historian A.H. Davison travelled to Scotland in the 1920's to
          > research the problem, but had no luck finding prisoner lists or other
          > pertinent documents. Hopefully, somewhere a passenger or prisoner
          > list has been found that will give us a new beginning.
          > HELP!

        • Heather M. Metheny
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9 6:12 PM
            Hi all - Please - when you respond to someone's message, please make sure
            your response goes to that person, not to the entire list - THANKS

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/