219Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Robert Young, Covenanter

  • Ardachu@aol.com
    Mar 2, 2004
      Hi Rita, Are the documents in this country stating he was from Glasgow
      immigration records? He may have sailed from aGlasgow port and therefor they would
      list him from Glasgow. He also may have been born in the town of Perth or
      somewhere in Perthshire, then moved to the Glasgow area as a young man. If your
      family's tradition says Perth, I'd look there first. You'd be surprised how many
      Scots went to Ireland for 3-12 months to put together the money for passage,
      then left from an Irish port and are listed in this country's records as
      coming from Ireland. You can't always trust immigration locals or early census
      records. Early census records in this country were not done the way they do them
      today. One or two people would be assigned to gather census data for their
      village or town and they would fill them out themselves- each household did not
      fill them out. If John Smith was doing census data- the Joneses may have lived
      next door, and Smith would list the Joneses names and often guessed at the
      childrens' ages and name spellings. I'd start your research in Pertshire, all
      parishes. There is a website- www.scotlandspeople.gov.org and they have most of
      the Old Parish Records and the newer statistical records. There is a fee of L6
      for access to 30 records- you can use a credit card. You can type in
      Perthshire, all records and a name and it will bring up a list of possibles. It's 1
      credit (of the 30 you purchase) to look at each name on the lisr. This might find
      you something on your Robert Young. It was not required in Scotland to keep
      birth, marriage and death records until the 1850's, but many parish ministers
      kept their own and the website does have some parish records back to the 1500's.
      Good luck on your quest. I know from my own research that before 1850, if
      your ancestor was not a tacksman, a rebel, a criminal, did not leave a will or
      estate, and did not piss-off the Kirk, he just doesn't appear in any record.
      There was no reason for his name to be written down. My Dad's family were sub-let
      farmers and younger sons so a lot of don't exist in records. But family
      tradition is stronger, in my opinion, than records in an immigrant's first several
      years in America. Happy hunting, Sandy MacAllister