151Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Coming On Board

    Jun 18, 2003
      William Cone <ConeModerator23@...> wrote:

      > I have followed the John and Sara list in that on the list is # 150 is
      > Neile Mackhone and that I conceive him to be Neile McConne of the Isle of
      > Wight Parrish Virginia. A will was recorded for Neile McConne in that Parish > in 1680.

      Depending on what transcription of the John and Sara list you are
      reading, the order number varies.

      In GenForum on 12 Sep 2000 Inez Foster quotes from one of two articles:
      "A few are known to have gone to Connecticut and as far as New Jersey
      when they had served their time."

      As far as I have found, all the men on the John and Sara were landed at
      Boston. the ship apparently went on to Barbados with goods loaded in
      New England. Nothing says that any of the Scots went to Barbadoes.

      > What sets Isle of Wight as that the Master of the John and Sara was
      John
      > Greene, recorded to be of the Isle of Wight Parish.>

      You have evidence that connects the John Greene master of the John and
      Sara to the one in the Isle of Wight Parish Virginia. Since one of the
      men who signed letters to the consignee in Boston, Thomas Kemble, and to
      Capt John Greene was one William Greene. The letter to John Greene
      ends "...wishing you a happy and safe Retourne we remain your loving
      friends, John Beex, Robert Rich and Will. Greene"

      snip

      > Another point is that the Owner of the John and Sara is said to be of Charlestown. > New Hampshire I would presume as this was a major shipbuilding port in that time > with the owners being connected to families in England.>

      Who was the owner of the John and Sara? I would suspect that the three
      men above were the owners and that John Greene was a relative of
      William.

      Charlestown was in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, across the Charles
      River from Boston and now part of Boston.

      There is mention of the early shipbuilding in New England. Many towns
      including Boston, Charlestown and Salem had ship builders but in the mid
      17th Century I think they built small coastal and fishing boats.

      > And often these owners did realize who was buttering the bread for profit and
      > therefore even loyal to the English for the aspect of being profitable in
      > their ventures. So to say that all the prisoners melted into New England would
      > forego the market of selling indentured to the plantations of Virginia, of
      > whence crops and goods were produced to be sent back to England.

      Interesting point but is there any documentation?