SCORBOT ER4u exact Link dimensions and link masses

  • DmitriA
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 18, 2011
      Hi all,

      Does anyone have anER4U disassembled so weight measurements can be taken of each link for its dynamics calculation?  I'm guessing dimensions are easier for come by/ take but I don't know what to do about weight except for taking a robot apart. Or maybe a document exists that lists the weights? That would speed things up quite a bit.

      I've received this question via my blog and could not answer myself, so I suggested to have this question posted in the Group. Problem is, this is a member-only post group and as far as I can tell (this was not the first request of this kind), membership applications in this group are not being responded to. So I'm posting it for my blog visitor while he's waiting for his membership app to go through.

      Thanks!

      Building a robotics lab keeps me busy :)
    • GLivick

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 18, 2011
          >I suppose him calculating the volume of each piece after measuring them
          has been considered already? Then >he only has to multiply the volume
          in cubic inches by .1 if the parts are aluminum, or .28 if they are
          steel.

          >Gary L.

          I have to admit, I don't know what has already been done and what type
          of precision he needs. It just seems like a last resort way of doing it
          - there is also hardware, belts, pulleys, axles etc. and each adds a bit
          to the weight. Seems there should be a better way of finding out the
          weights, hopefully they are listed by the manufacturer somewhere. I
          just never came across it before. Thanks!
        • Washington, James - CKHS
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 19, 2011

            I have a Scorbot ER4 to trade if anyone is interested.  Er5 also but no controller card…..drats…  Teach pendant, skills board, and steel base all go with the deal.

            Jim Washington

            360-662-2514

            >I suppose him calculating the volume of each piece after measuring them
            has been considered already? Then >he only has to multiply the volume
            in cubic inches by .1 if the parts are aluminum, or .28 if they are
            steel.

            >Gary L.

            I have to admit, I don't know what has already been done and what type
            of precision he needs. It just seems like a last resort way of doing it
            - there is also hardware, belts, pulleys, axles etc. and each adds a bit
            to the weight. Seems there should be a better way of finding out the
            weights, hopefully they are listed by the manufacturer somewhere. I
            just never came across it before. Thanks!

          • mark hubrich
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 19, 2011

              Trade for what? 8-)

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 19, 2011

                I suppose it would be a great time to model it in Inventor.  Taking the thing apart would definitely be my last resort.  A model could have many future benifits.

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 19, 2011

                  Since I am a school, I can trade for merchandise….no money.   I am located in the Seattle area.

                  Presently 75 lbs. of 60/40 solder would do it.  I am just not using the  Scorbots at all

                  Jim

                  360-662-2514

                  I have a Scorbot ER4 to trade if anyone is interested.  Er5 also but no controller card…..drats…  Teach pendant, skills board, and steel base all go with the deal.

                  Jim Washington

                  360-662-2514

                      >I suppose him calculating the volume of each piece after measuring them has been considered...

                • david_scorbot
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 19, 2011
                    Hi Dmitri, hi Mark...

                    This sounds like a student project? :-)

                    As Gary mentioned, the best way is of course just to measure each part (which looks easy to do) and multiply by the density of aluminium/steel to get the mass.

                    This would be a fun little CAD exercise actually, to make a 3D model. If you do chose to model the robot, try to use a software program that allows export the file as a common 3D model format (ie. 3DSMax) so your work could be shared. For example, the 3D model could be imported into a Robot Simulation environment. Also, once your model is finished, the software can tell you the mass of each component, based on the density properties you select.

                    Also, the mass of each robot link may not be a concern for such a lightweight robot. If you are getting feedback about the position of each joint, you could also calculate the rotational speed at the same time, that should be enough to determine what the robot is doing.

                    Keep us posted,

                    David.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 19, 2011

                      I actually have dxf and dwg files in the files section. Their not as detailed as you may need but a jump start if you go that route. I pull it together from files I found in Robocell.

                      --- In ScorbotUserGroup@yahoogroups.com, mark hubrich <meistro57@...> wrote: > > I suppose it woul...