RE: [ScorbotUserGroup] New user - Help with ER3 repairs

  • Omri Koppel
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
      Hi K.
      Welcome to the group.
      A very helpfull site for you and all you robot lovers is
      intelitek.com
      It shows all the robots that we have.
      For FYI, the ER3 uses the same motors as the ER4U and ER5 and ER5Plus.
      If you go to look at the ER4U and click on accessories you can see loads of accessories.
      Most of them will work with your ER3 robots.
      The Pitman motors are still made. We use them for the new ER4U robots. I never looked, but you should be able to find them.
      Regarding the home disks. They will be hard to find, as they are custom made for the robot.
      Please send me your mail address and I will see what I can do for you(:)
      TP's pop up on ebay once in a while, and some scorbot users members offer them here also.
      I am sure one will pop up soon.
      Best regards,
      Enjoy your robot.

      Omri

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
        BTW, I found the connector pinouts and the parts breakout sheet...
        (... they were in the back of the ER3 manual... Doh!)

        It looks fairly easy to whip up a Test Harness (DB50M <-> DB9F set ... DB9M set <-> DB50F,
        and a single "DB9M <-- display --> DB9F" to insert wherever I need it...)

        I will be posting my initial XLS pinout spread sheet I just whipped up to the FILES area
        shortly, in case anyone else can wishes this information. (Please check it for errors!)

        To all - I am still looking for:
        a) Scorbot User Group FAQ - (does it exist?)
        b) Scorbot parts dealers - are there any left???
        c) FULL schematics for the Robot, Pendant, and Controller (beyond the ER3 manual)
        d) Replacement parts for finish repairing the Gripper
        ... (I need everything on the motor side past part #91, including the motor/encoder, and coupler...)
        e) A Teach Pendant (or ALL of the protocols and messages to emulate it - anyone know them?)
        f) A replacement waist motor (Pittman GM9413G608, 127.7:1 ratio, 12VDC)
        g) Spec sheets on the motors - (motor curves, etc...)
        h) Replacement home disks (all broken - hopefully Omri can help! :-)
        i) additional motor kits, to make my own accessories.
        ... (although if someone knows the PPR of the encoders at the shaft end, I can substitute!)

        Thanks!

        On Jun 1, 2010, Omri Koppel <okoppel@...> wrote:
        > Hi K. Welcome to the group.
        > A very helpfull site for you and all you robot lovers is intelitek.com
        > It shows all the robots that we have.

        Thanks! <looks> Hmmm... I don't see any parts links there (nor prices!)
        Ah... They say they sell through Distributors, but I don't see them listed.
        (I'll try calling them...)

        > For FYI, the ER3 uses the same motors as the ER4U and ER5 and ER5Plus.
        > If you go to look at the ER4U and click on accessories you can see loads of accessories.
        > Most of them will work with your ER3 robots.

        They give me some ideas... Where do YOU buy their toys?

        > The Pitman motors are still made. We use them for the new ER4U robots.
        > I never looked, but you should be able to find them.

        Could not get a hit on the exact part on any Google searches.
        Do you have a link for a replacement GM9413G608 (or at least their specs)?

        Reviewing every Pittman motor of the GM9314 series I could locate on the net,
        Pittman does NOT seem to use a simple microencoding scheme on their part
        numbers, to indicate what they are at a glance. (It looks more to me like a "customer
        code" suffix, which means ANY suffix could be ANY combination of motor,
        gearbox, mount option, etc. You have to have insider info to decode it.)

        > Regarding the home disks. They will be hard to find, as they are custom
        > made for the robot. Please send me your mail address and I will see what I can do for you(:)

        Thanks! Will do, separately. I need a full set for the arm, as they are ALL
        broken, or missing. (Boy, the shattered plastic remains look mighty fragile...)

        Where can you get them, should I need some later?
        Has anyone here reverse engineered up a better replacement (eg a metal one)?

        > TP's pop up on ebay once in a while, and some scorbot users members
        > offer them here also. I am sure one will pop up soon.

        OK. I'll keep an eye out for them.

        The TP appears to be a simple serial device. Has anyone bothered to decode
        the messages, so it can be EMULATED with a laptop and a serial port,
        or a cheap micro, button set, and display? I have all sorts of micro boards laying
        around here, all of which can easily scan buttons and drive displays.

        All I really need to emulate the Teach Pendant is:
        - its serial protocol,
        - the message set, and
        - a list of any "modes" it may get into, that affect messages.
        Has anyone documented that, yet?

        - Keith Mc.
      • Mark Hubrich
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010

          " Don't get hung up on the (lack of) teach pendant - the thing is not the easiest interface in the world to use and, since you cannot play with this robot without a PC anyways,  you can use PC for positioning just as well. I personally find PC interface more convenient. "

          With my ER4u I'm able to use my Logitech Gamepad and the free key mapping software to bind the controller to keys on my keyboard. It's a wonderful thing having the ability to move the robot around with a PS2 style controller.

          Also, I don't believe you can get the gripper assembly anywhere other than Intelitek and I'm certain it will cost twice as much as the sacrificial ERIII. I'm in a same boat - I have a very nice ER2 specimen that someone pried the entire gripper assembly from and I'm looking at a possibility to replace it with a one from ERIII simply because I can't buy the proper ER2 one.

          If you have dimensions I can make one for you. I'm taking mine off and storing it for safe keeping while it is replaced with a brushless RC Car motor tool spindle. This small spindle assy. will hold small dremel cutters and spin at 20,000+rpm down to whatever.

          I'm going to boldly go where no Scorbot has gone before :P. 8axis foam cutting. The folks at cnctoolkit are going to help me out with the postprocessor to convert the Tool Path G-code to Scorebase. Their first task for me is to create the model in 3DS Max and apply kinematics chain. I realized I'm hyjacking this thread :| I'm going to take this to its own subject :)

          Good luck with your Scorbot, they provide hours of entertainment!!

          Mark

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
            Hi Mark,

            Can you guide me in how I would go about setting up my robot to run with a PS2 controller.

            Best Regards,

            Chris Gonzalez

            To: ScorbotUserGroup@yahoogroups.com

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~

          • Omri Koppel
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 7, 2010

              http://rssc.org/content/my-scorbot-robot-arm

              Maybe someone knows the guy, and let him know about the group.

              Omri

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 7, 2010

                I sent him an email about us :)

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 7, 2010
                  Hi,

                      I'm already on the list.  Posted once or twice.

                      I've made some progress, as I couldn't get the Scorbase software to run on my ancient PC XT, I'm writing my own (in VC++) to drive the controller directly over the serial bus.  I'm trying to get a simple block piling demonstration going for the robot club next Saturday.

                      The only real problem I'm having is with the "check limit switch" commands.  As noted in the instructions, they frequently give the wrong result.  Right now, I'm reading them twice as they suggested and not using the data unless BOTH returns agree and this happens twice in a row.  That seems to be avoiding all the faulty returns so far.

                      I don't think I'll be installing this arm on my robot,   but I'm learning a lot of the tradeoffs in the design and hope to build a somewhat more powerful and smaller version in the future.  Of course, it's also becoming clearer why smaller and more powerful will be a challenge.

                  Alex

                  Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:55 PM

                  ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ****
                  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.

                  This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by PineApp for the presence of computer viruses.

                  ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ****

                • lassitc
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 18 7:27 AM
                    This is just a suggestion.

                    Try taking pictures of what you have of the arm at different angles.

                    Then posting them.
                    -Charles

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 19 9:21 AM
                      Keith,

                          I also recently bought  an ER-III on ebay with controller for $200.  No guarantee, but said it worked as far as he knew.  I had to fix a few things so I'll tell you what I found.

                          The only source for parts I found was intelitek.com.  Just go to their service and support page and there is an email and phone number.  They tend to be quite expensive.

                          I needed a couple encoder disks.  I have the kind made of plastic with two sets of slots at different radii.  I ordered the part numbers from the catalog and got metal disks with blades, not slots.  Turns out they don't have the ones with slots anymore.  So, I made disks on my drill press (using it like a milling machine), soldered them to the hubs of the unusable bladed disks and it worked.   These metal disks were actually reasonably priced at $4 for the 6 bladed disk and $9 for the 3 bladed.    The other alternative would be to use the bladed disks and buy the electronics board to match, but the boards are $40 for the 6 slot and $67 for the 3 slot.

                          I also had to fix the gripper motor.  I happened to have a newer pittman motor in that series,  a GM8224D204 rated at 24 volts and with a 6.3 to 1 gear ratio and with an encoder.  Although the specs are quite different from the original, it works well and can pick up over 1 KG quite reliably.  I had to replace the encoder with the one on the original motor.  With a little hacking, it got it to fit.  If you don't have the encoder disk or the electronics, that will cost the amounts specified above for the 3 bladed encoder.  Or, you could probably make one a lot cheaper.

                          I think that getting the gripper hardware will be difficult (at a reasonable price), unless you can find someone who has a spare they are willing to sell.

                          The other motors (the big ones) will be challenging to find.  Pittmanexpress.com has similar motors for around $140., but that is without the encoder which means it has no shaft on the encoder end.  You'd have to buy the motor with an encoder ($250), throw out the electronics and disk and install the encoder parts from the old motor.   These motors are unusual enough that finding them on ebay is quite improbable.  You can also get the specs on the motors at Pittmanexpress.

                          After repairing mine, I concluded that it is cheaper and far less time consuming to buy one on ebay that is supposed to be all working.  I think my $200 arm cost about $350 in the end.  Unfortunately, there haven't been any inexpensive ER-III's in the last few months.  Just people asking very high prices in hopes that someone will bite.  I think a "good" price for a working ER-III with controller would be around $300.

                          If you decide that repairing your current arm is impractical,  I am looking for one that can be scavenged for parts to build a modified arm that is suitable for mounting on my robot.  I'd probably be willing to pay $100 to $150 for yours.

                      Alex