Contoller Not Responding

  • larrylinux
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2010
      Hello Again,

      I have finally gotten back to working on my ER-III. I purchased a copy of DOS 6.21 from ebay and loaded on an old laptop. I fabricated my cable as per the instructions. I downloaded scorbase 5 and loaded it. Still no luck in communicating through the PC. I have tried the three different controller units I have, and have even tried a different old PC to isolate where the problem is located - still nothing. Both Scorbase 5 and Scorbase 3.5 produce no results. Is there something simple I am missing. Any input would be appreciated.

      Chris
    • lassitc
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2010
        Did you use a RS232 crossover?

        Did you set the stop bit, parity bit, etc.?

        -Charles

        --- In ScorbotUserGroup@yahoogroups.com, "larrylinux" <larrylinux@...> wrote:

        > Hello Again,
        >
        > I have finally gotten back to working on my ER-III. I purchased a copy of DOS 6.21 from ebay and loaded on an old laptop. I fabricated my (SNIP)
        > Chris

      • larrylinux
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2010
          Using Hank's instructions from the files section:

          Connections between the two connectors are as follows:

          DB9 Pin 3 to DB25 Pin 2
          DB9 Pin 2 to DB25 Pin 3
          DB9 Pin 5 to DB25 Pin 7

          Now just on the DB9 connector:

          Connect pin 7 to pin 8
          Connect pin 6 to pin 1 and pin 4

          Attempted to set the serial port communications protocols using the MODE command:

          MODE COM1:9600,N,8,1,P

          This supposedly sets communications port COM1 to 9600 Baud, with no parity, 8 databits, 1 Stop Bit, and with XON/XOFF

          Are these settings correct?

          Thanks for your help!

          PS - The LEDS on the back of the controller above the RS232 port - only RX is lighting

          --- In ScorbotUserGroup@yahoogroups.com, "lassitc" <lassitc@...> wrote:

          > Did you use a RS232 crossover?
          >
          > Did you set the stop bit, parity bit, etc.?
          >
          > -Charles
          >
          > --- In ScorbotUserGroup@yahoogroups.com, "larrylinux" <larrylinux@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Again,
          > >
          > > I have finally gotten back to working on my ER-III. I purchased a copy of DOS 6.21 from ebay and loaded on an old laptop. I fabricated my (SNIP)
          > > Chris

        • Alex Brown
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2010
            Well, this certainly does seem to be a common problem !

            I've just been trying to get my "new" scorbot ER-II going with mixed results.

            I spent a day or two trying to get the SCORBASE program to communicate.  Unsuccessfully.  I had the cable set up per the directions below and  had the protocol set up as below except I have 2 stop bits as is called for in appendix B of my ER-III manual 6th edition.  I had the crossover in the cable as called for also in the appendix.  I could get no response at all.

            Since I have a scope,  I checked the signal being sent out by the computer.  Absolutely nothing.  I tried sending characters out using hyperterminal, and could see the message on the scope.  So, Scorbase seems unable to work with my computer's comm ports.  I did have com2 available to use and was using scor1 /c2 to use comm 2, but it didn't work.

            Since I could get signals out with hyperterminal,  I tried sending out some of the commands in Appendix A.  The single character bi-directional commands seem to be working.  :-).  At least I'd send a one character command and would get back a one character response.  So, apparently the controller itself is working.  The problem is scorbase in a recent PC.

            So, this is just to say that a lack of response doesn't necessarily mean that the cable is wrong.  Try hyperterminal and see if you can get a response.

            BTW,  I said above that I had the crossover in the cable.  My current hookup does NOT have the crossover, but seems to work.  I am using a USB to serial adapter and maybe it does a crossover itself?  seems unlikely.

            I've got to solve a couple hardware problems before I continue.  When I got the arm, it had one encoder disk missing.  I ordered a replacement but it doesn't looks like the other encoder disks that I have.  The new one looks like the ones in the parts chapter of the manual,  like a six bladed fan.  The old ones had slots at two distances from the axle.  I suspect I have to adjust the led and sensor heights per the manual.  Anyone know anything about this?

            Alex

            __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5080 (20100502) __________

            http://www.eset.com

          • larrylinux@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2010
              SUCCESS! I alter the pin-out on my cross-over cable to 2-2 & 3-3 like you suggested, then adjusting my com1 protocol to two stop bits and viola.

              One thing I know for sure, you must be suing a purely DOS based machine - not a command prompt, etc. I am using DOS 6.21 on an old laptop.

              Good luck, and thanks for your input.

              Chris