Re: I just scored a Scorbot!!

  • dabaimov
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2010
      --- In ScorbotUserGroup@yahoogroups.com, "meistro150" <mark@...> wrote:

      > I've been dreaming of this day for a year and a half. Finally I am the prowd owner of an ER4U. A blue one. Now I can dream of a decent priced usb controller for it. :D
      >
      > Anyone here have a spare controller you've been meaning to get rid of?
      >
      > Mark

      Great for you! It's a nice robot indeed and the blue paint means it's not too old, maybe late 90s which is great because you won't have to deal with frozen gearboxes, crumbling insulation and such. It actually bears Intelitek name, right?

      Anyways, I just wanted to point out that you should stay clear of the ER4PC type controller. It looks exactly like ER4U except on the back the PC connection is via an odd 62-pin D-type connector to an odd motion controller card that is supposed to be plugged into a full-size ISA slot. Ugly, I know... I am a proud owner of one such controller, still don't know what to do with it. Was sold to me as an all-inclusive kit but the seller neglected to mention that the PC motion controller card - an essential piece - is missing.
      So, always ask for a picture of a back of the controller. If the USB port is missing, move on - won't get much use out of it.
      Building a robotics lab and an online robotics community keeps me busy :)
    • Mark Hubrich
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2010
        Hey thanks for pointing that out! I might be able to get an ER4PC controller too. But this one has a standard db25 conn to the computer and a 50pin to the robot. I did see pictures of the back and it looks like a 25 pin to me and also has a label above it that says "PC". Mabey yous is another version of it. I'd much rather have usb though, as my laptop doesn't have LPT.

        Mark

        ________________________________

        > I've been dreaming of this day for a year and a half. Finally I am the prowd owner of an ER4U. A blue one. Now I can dream of a decent priced usb controller for it. :D
        >
        > Anyone here have a spare controller you've been meaning to get rid of?
        >
        > Mark

        Great for you! It's a nice robot indeed and the blue paint means it's not too old, maybe late 90s which is great because you won't have to deal with frozen gearboxes, crumbling insulation and such. It actually bears Intelitek name, right?

        Anyways, I just wanted to point out that you should stay clear of the ER4PC type controller. It looks exactly like ER4U except on the back the PC connection is via an odd 62-pin D-type connector to an odd motion controller card that is supposed to be plugged into a full-size ISA slot. Ugly, I know... I am a proud owner of one such controller, still don't know what to do with it. Was sold to me as an all-inclusive kit but the seller neglected to mention that the PC motion controller card - an essential piece - is missing.
        So, always ask for a picture of a back of the controller. If the USB port is missing, move on - won't get much use out of it.
        Building a robotics lab and an online robotics community <http://www.roboticscommunity.com/> keeps me busy :)
      • dabaimov
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2010
          --- In ScorbotUserGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Hubrich" <mark@...> wrote:

          > Hey thanks for pointing that out! I might be able to get an ER4PC controller too. But this one has a standard db25 conn to the computer and a 50pin to the robot. I did see pictures of the back and it looks like a 25 pin to me and also has a label above it that says "PC". Mabey yous is another version of it. I'd much rather have usb though, as my laptop doesn't have LPT.
          >
          > Mark

          I kid you not, Mark, if you carefully look at the picture, you'll see that the "Computer" connector actually have pins arranged in three rows (DB25 has two) and the connector is longer than DB25. It really does have 62 pins, very tightly packed! If you compare it to the DB50 "Robot" connector - that one is huge - it sort of throws your scale off.

          But the worst bummer is not the connector itself - however impossible to find - but the fact that it expects  additional motion control logic provided by a board plugged into the PC.  I did a post not long ago about the board . Still hoping someone can give me a hint about where to get one.

          Oh, and just for my general education, if there really is such a beast - an ER4PC controller with a DB25 (serial, not LPT) computer connection, please post when you get it. If I can also find a similar unit, it will greatly increase my chances to see my ER4PC robot moving.
          Cheers!
          Dmitriy

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010

            Glad I looked again. I appreciate that very much!! Here’s a snip from the manual… I did a quick search and did find some 62pin D-sub connectors but the manual says nothing about pin connections to the pc. I’m going to stay away from this controller, and again, I cannot express how much I appreciate your concern!! J I smacked myself upside the back of my head for ya.

            If you don’t have that manual I’ll email it if you like.

            Mark

            PC Servo Control Card

            The PC servo control card plugs into an 8-bit AT ISA slot of a PC 386 or higher.

            This card contains the circuits which operate the robot’s motors (by means of PWM

            signals), read the encoder and microswitch signals, and communicate with a teach

            pendant and I/O signals.

            COMPUTER 62-pin D-type high density connector

            PC Servo Card Installation

            PC Requirements

            The PC which will be used in conjunction with Controller-PC must meet the following

            requirements:

            · CPU : 80486 or higher, with one free 8-bit or 16-bit AT ISA slot

            · RAM : minimum 8 MB

            · Hard disk space: minimum 10 MB

            · Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) or Windows 95

            The SCORBASE software for Controller-PC may not run properly under

            Windows 3.1.

            To install the servo control card, do the following:

            1. Turn off the PC. It is recommended that you also disconnect the PC from the AC power

            source.

            2. Remove the cover of the PC, and locate an available 8- or 16-bit expansion slot.

            3. Remove the expansion slot cover at the back of the PC. Save the screw.

            4. Align the servo control card with the expansion slot. Carefully and gently press the card

            into the slot until it snaps into place.

            5. Using the screw you removed earlier, secure the card’s metal bracket into place.

            6. Tighten the bracket screw.

            7. Replace the cover of the PC.

            > Hey thanks for pointing that out! I might be able to get an ER4PC
            controller too. But this one has a standard db25 conn to the computer and a 50pin to the robot. I did see pictures of the back and it looks like a 25 pin to me and also has a label above it that says "PC". Mabey yous is another version of it. I'd much rather have usb though, as my laptop doesn't have LPT.

            > Mark

            I kid you not, Mark, if you carefully look at the picture, you'll see that the "Computer" connector actually have pins arranged in three rows (DB25 has two) and the connector is longer than DB25. It really does have 62 pins, very tightly packed! If you compare it to the DB50 "Robot" connector - that one is huge - it sort of throws your scale off.

            But the worst bummer is not the connector itself - however impossible to find - but the fact that it expects  additional motion control logic provided by a board plugged into the PC.  I did a post not long ago about the board . Still hoping someone can give me a hint about where to get one.

            Oh, and just for my general education, if there really is such a beast - an ER4PC controller with a DB25 (serial, not LPT) computer connection, please post when you get it. If I can also find a similar unit, it will greatly increase my chances to see my ER4PC robot moving.
            Cheers!
            Dmitriy

            Building a robotics lab and an online robotics community keeps me busy :)