Hello from a newbie

  • rashellemail
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
      Hi all,
      found this place last night, looks like I will find heaps of info here. :)
      I have a Scorbot ER-III some motors, conveyor, Turntable etc. but don't have the software (I downloaded some fro the files area but havn't tried it out yet)
      questions which may (or may not) save me a heap of time. do I need to run an older PC with it? will the software run ok in an XP dos window?
      is there newer / better software to run?
      I will post some pics as soon as I have it all up and togeather (at this stage I have only run a motor test)
      Cheers
    • Gerry
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2009
        Hi Rashelle,

        If your using the Scorbot ER-III you will want to run the Scorbase Level 3 software.

        That's assuming you have the standard ER-III controller.
        (Look in the Photos section to verify the controller you have)

        As for myself, I have found in the past that running on an older PC sometimes avoids any issues of compatibility with the software. I also Run it directly in DOS on an older Windows 95 computer. I have been able to successfully run Scorbase in a Windows 2000 Dos Prompt window without any issues.

        I know several people have been able to Run the Scorbase software by setting Windows XP into a type of Windows 95 emulate mode. I haven't done this myself but I'm sure someone here can help you with that.

        Also, check in the Photos section for the RS232 Serial cable connections. Hopefully you already have the Serial cable that goes with the controller, otherwise you will have to make your own cable according to the pinout diagrams and requires some soldering skills.

        Copy and Paste the entire link below for Learning Soldering Techniques Manual:

        http://www.digital-circuitry.com/FILES/Electronics/Soldering%20Techniques.pdf

        Also a good call is to print out the Scorbot ER-III Scorbase User's manual for quick reference, when troubleshooting.

        Also once you get going you can check out my Scorbot YouTube channel for related troubleshooting, repairs or other Modifications.

        http://www.youtube.com/user/NLEproGUY

        Any other issues feel free to ask the group, we have allot of very well experienced users here, more so than myself even. I've only been using them for about 7 years now. There are others here that have not stopped since they came out back in the early 80's.

        There here somewhere, they just remain dormant until the real issues pop up and we call upon their expertise. :)

        Hope we can help you get your Scorbots working.

        Regards,
        -Gerry

        --- In ScorbotUserGroup@yahoogroups.com, "rashellemail" <rashellemail@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > found this place last night, looks like I will find heaps of info here. :)
        > I have a Scorbot ER-III some motors, conveyor, Turntable etc. but don't have the software (I downloaded some fro the files area but havn't tried it out yet)
        > questions which may (or may not) save me a heap of time. do I need to run an older PC with it? will the software run ok in an XP dos window?
        > is there newer / better software to run?
        > I will post some pics as soon as I have it all up and togeather (at this stage I have only run a motor test)
        > Cheers

      • rashellemail
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2009
          Thanks for the info Gerry,
          I have looked around the pics section and can't see the controller I have (I'm not very good with these yahoo groups yet, so it may be there) the one I have is labeled "scorbot ER III" on the rear panel under model it says only "controller"
          made in isreal.
          http://www.theoldrobots.com/images26/scor12.JPG
          this is similar but mine is only about 1/2 the height
          I will post a pic as soon as I can & hopefully someone will recognise it.
          as for the cable, from controller to PC, is it different pinouts than a normal RS232 cable? is it the same as a nullmodem cable? if not I will make one.
          the software is the second one on the page below?
          http://www.digital-circuitry.com/scorbot_soft_ER3.htm
          I have the hardcopy manual titled "scorbase level 5, reference guide as well.
          thanks again for your help sofar.