Tech Pendant: which one do I need?

  • dabaimov
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2009
      Hi all, first post in this group, hope someone can help me.

      I am still building my robotics lab and at this stage, honestly, I would simply call it "I'm gathering equipment". Since eBay is my primary source of robotics equipment (and the only source for Eshed's) I am getting all sorts of disparate controller/robot pairs in different states of disrepair/missing components and no teach pendant yet.

      I have three controllers so far:

      #1 an older ERIII one with slanted front that appears to be in working order, pendant connection is RS232
      #2 a newer ER4 controller with a strange connector to PC - DB37, I think. It came with an ER4 robot that I think I have best chances at playing with because it's in pristine condition. Pendant connector is RJ12

      #3 a newer yet controller that looks almost identcial to #2 but bears Depco colors and has a USB connector to PC. A bummer - does not turn on. This controller was paired to a Depco robot (ER2 as far as I understand) but the robot is SO badly damaged (all encoders smashed) that I may never be able to use it, so if I can repair and then re-purpose the controller, I will. Pendant connector is also RJ12

      I want to be able to start with testing motors of the robots that I got and I guess, I need a teach pendant because figuring out the PC connection is going to be a project in its own right. This is where I get confused by the naming of the parts. The teach pendants appear to not have their own part number but rather go by the controller they connect to. I would like to search ebay or elsewhere on the Web by a definite keyword that describes the type of teach pendant I need. The ones I've seen so far seem to come from ER-7, 9 or the SCARA type ER-14.

      So, can someone with experience provide a clue to picking the right type of teach pendant for me? I think I'll need one for the ER4 robot and its controller (#2 on my list above).

      Thanks! Sorry for the long-winded post and thanks for sticking with me until the end.
    • dabaimov
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2009
        Teach pendant, of course. sorry for the typo

        --- In ScorbotUserGroup@yahoogroups.com, "dabaimov" <rcdd@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, first post in this group, hope someone can help me.
        >
        > I am still building my robotics lab and at this stage, honestly, I would simply call it "I'm gathering equipment". Since eBay is my primary source of robotics equipment (and the only source for Eshed's) I am getting all sorts of disparate controller/robot pairs in different states of disrepair/missing components and no teach pendant yet.
        >
        > I have three controllers so far:
        >
        > #1 an older ERIII one with slanted front that appears to be in working order, pendant connection is RS232
        > #2 a newer ER4 controller with a strange connector to PC - DB37, I think. It came with an ER4 robot that I think I have best chances at playing with because it's in pristine condition. Pendant connector is RJ12
        >
        > #3 a newer yet controller that looks almost identcial to #2 but bears Depco colors and has a USB connector to PC. A bummer - does not turn on. This controller was paired to a Depco robot (ER2 as far as I understand) but the robot is SO badly damaged (all encoders smashed) that I may never be able to use it, so if I can repair and then re-purpose the controller, I will. Pendant connector is also RJ12
        >

        > I want to be able to start with testing motors of the robots that I got and I guess, I need a teach pendant because figuring out the PC connection is going to be a project in its own right. This is where I get confused by the naming of the parts. The teach pendants appear to not have their own part number but rather go by the controller they connect to. I would like to search ebay or elsewhere on the Web by a definite keyword that describes the type of teach pendant I need. The ones I've seen so far seem to come from ER-7, 9 or the SCARA type ER-14.
        >
        > So, can someone with experience provide a clue to picking the right type of teach pendant for me? I think I'll need one for the ER4 robot and its controller (#2 on my list above).
        >
        > Thanks! Sorry for the long-winded post and thanks for sticking with me until the end.

      • Rex
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2009
          Hi dabaimov,

          You are correct on the note that when dealing with eBay, the Scorbot teach pendants are usually categorized by the name of the controller. Most eBay sellers are not familiar with the hardware whatsoever and are left listing the product by model number that is displayed on the unit enclosure. Common sense really.

          Only when you are dealing with Intelitek directly would you need the specific T.P. model numbers, and buying these units new is just not a feasible option for most Hobbyists and students. As you probably know their original retail value is in the thousands.

          Your best bet is to continue your hunt for a "Scorbot ER-IV Teach Pendant" on eBay or the like. I have found that by talking with various sellers (NOT POWER SELLERS) on eBay, usually tend to be a hobbyist of some sort and are more likely to have some background in the robotic units they are selling. As apposed to a "Power seller" who is just selling a bulk purchase of stock equipment.

          At times they may be able to direct you to other Online sources for robotic components. You may try "www.craigslist.org" and also check into local Auctions.

          On another note,
          I've been working on a project for a while now to build my own ER-III
          "Teach pendant" unit. I'm designing most of the T.P. circuit in the popular Altera "Quartus II" software and implimenting the design into an FPGA chip to interface to the controller. I'm still in the midst of my Electronics Technologist program here at the local College and learning more and more about this increadible software. The potentials of using FPGA chips for Prototyping Digital circuits is truly baffling. The chip I'm working with right now has over 300 Pins available to interface to various Digital circuits according to the design implemented in the Software, it is really amazing.

          Hopefully one day I'll have a kit I could sell to the group to build their own teach pendants.

          But until that day, eBay is the name of the game.

          Have a good one,
          -Gerry

          P.S.
          I would check the power supply in the Controller that you said was not turning on. Open it up and check the fuses. Also try using a Volt meter to verify that the Power supply circuit is actually producing a DC power source. A fist step to trouble shooting the problem.

          Here is link for a video I made on Scorbot Controller trouble shooting.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v7f4A3JoyI

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 14, 2009
            Thanks for the suggestions, Gerry. Yes, I am planning on reviving that dead controller by at the very least swapping a power supply from the identical working one that has a weird PC interface. By the way, have you ever seen the PC card (I'm assuming it needs a special card) for an Intelitek controller? Very much the same search issue as with teach pendant - what should I search for when looking for the PC card that connects to an Intelitek ER4 controller. Any part number or common name would be appreciated.

            With best regards,
            Dmitriy