Flex-Link Table top Conveyor Project...once again !!

  • Gerry
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
      He Guys,

      It's been pretty quiet here for the past year or so.

      In any case I just picked up another 30 feet of Industrial Flex-link conveyor chain similar to the Chain on my other conveyor table, but this chin is 2 1/2 inches wide.

      I'll have another table top Conveyor project for the summer. Nice!!

      Anyhow just stopping by to say hey!

      Talk to you all later.
      -Gerry

      P.S.
      I'll be making another post regarding my Altera EPLD chips. I made a major breakthrough regarding a really old problem.
    • Eric Mack
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
        I Gerry!

        Yes, it has been quiet. I'm a few months away from graduation - then I will have the time to unpack the robots and start experimenting again. How are you and what are you up to?

        I'm interested in the conveyor project, too.

        Eric

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2009
          Hi Eric,

          I'm still plugging away at school. I'm finishing up some grade 12 University prerequisite credits in Physics, chemistry and Math which I need to apply for the Engineering program here in Ottawa Canada. I never did get them back when I was in high school as I graduated at the General level and not get the Advanced courses for university bound students.

          I've essentially repeated all the sciences and math courses from the grade 10 level up to 12. I've been attending this local Adult high school for the past 2 years, but I'm in the grade 12 level now so, I'm almost done.

          I'm sort of teetering on a Dime trying to decide If I will go for an Engineering degree or a Technologist diploma which is much more of a hands on career than as a Design Engineer. It's 4-5 years for the Engineering and 3 years for the Technologist. Either way I needed the Maths and the physics courses.

          My spare time has been very limited with school, but I do manage to tinker now and then. I'm getting my second Table top conveyor plans going and I'm going to try and have the Chain drive unit under the table as I described in my videos for the last conveyor table I made. Having thirty feet of this stuff gives me enough to have the chain go under the table, where as last time, I just didn't have enough.

          I've also just picked up a small 125 PSI compressor from the local hardware store which I'm using to set up a Pneumatics bank. I'm using a 10 channel 24 volt solenoid valve bank, which of course has 10 separate outputs all to be used with Pneumatic pistons and pneumatic motors and such. I also want to use this to drive a Suction cup end effector for the robot arm. The pneumatic solenoids will all be driven by the robot controllers interface switches. It should be a fun project also.

          Other than that I've just been tinkering around with EEPROM's and ALtera EPLD's as I mentioned from my other post regarding using the DATA I/O Universal Programmer. I'm also learning the more advanced sections of Quartus II software for programming the EPLD's.
          FUN STUFF!!

          I'll through up some updated pictures of the new gear when I get the chance.

          Well, that's what I'm up to. :)
          -Gerry

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 18, 2009
            Sounds great!. Keep me posted! Let's connect in a few months. Keep me in mind for old conveyor parts. ttyl. Eric
          • Gerry
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 18, 2009
              Hey Eric,

              I'm getting more Flex-link chain from a friend of mine at a good price so I'm sure I could get you some if you wanted any for your own project.

              You'll have to rig up your own drive wheel and motor, as these drive units go for around $300.00 used, so it's better to just make your own unless you can afford to spend that much.

              I can't as I'm a poor full time student. :(

              I'm going to be using a rubber plane wheel i got from a local aviation scrap yard.