Roborealm Vision software for Scorbots III ?

  • svorres
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2007
      I have a couple of ScorbotIII arms, I'm interested in adding cameras
      to them. My goal is to get them to autonomously track and grab certain
      objects. my hobby is autonoumous robots.

      I found this free vision recognition software , it supports SSC ,
      Parallax and other serial outputs.

      http://www.roborealm.com/tutorials.php

      It accepts video from a USB cam , or any Windows PC video input. The
      output can go to a serial output device.
      Has anyone on this forum used tried using this with the Scorbot III
      controller ?
    • jkaldobsky
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 9, 2007
        --- In ScorbotUserGroup@yahoogroups.com, "svorres" <steve.vorres@...>
        wrote:

        > I have a couple of ScorbotIII arms, I'm interested in adding cameras
        > to them. My goal is to get them to autonomously track and grab
        certain
        > objects. my hobby is autonoumous robots.
        >
        > I found this free vision recognition software , it supports SSC ,
        > Parallax and other serial outputs.
        >
        > http://www.roborealm.com/tutorials.php
        >
        > It accepts video from a USB cam , or any Windows PC video input. The
        > output can go to a serial output device.
        > Has anyone on this forum used tried using this with the Scorbot III
        > controller ?

        Several months ago I added a camera to a Scorbot III for a final
        project in a robotics class. It would identify a few dozen blocks
        randomly tossed onto the table, calculate the positions+angles and pick
        each one up. After picking it up it would sort it into a bin based on
        both color and size. (For example, a small block and a large block of
        the same color still had different bins) The project was mainly to
        prove to the professors that it could be done (they originally claimed
        it could not) and that no special equipment, besides the web cam, would
        be needed.

        In my project I wrote my own vision recognition software so I
        really can't tell you if the free one you found will work or not. To
        be honest I really don't know what SSC and Parallax are. My project
        involved using Visual Basics to read/understand the camera images and
        it outputted the necessary instructions as ACL commands directly to the
        controller. There are obviously many ways to accomplish this though.

        I wrote, but never turned in, a project that allows real-time video
        footage to be captured by the Scorbot. You may be more interested in
        this than the other idea if I understand your project correctly. In
        mine it would get each block and go through a list of steps for sorting
        and running belts... it used vision but it was still only 1 step in a
        whole assembly line of stuff. The newer design would be able to
        instantly react to changes so it might even be able to "catch"
        something that was running around trying not to be caught. (Scorbots
        are pretty slow though... so it can't be too fast LOL!)

        I don't know if that helps, but at least you know it can be done.

        - Jeremy