1034RE: [ScorbotUserGroup] computer won't communicate with robot

  • indtechteach81
    Jan 8, 2014

    O.K. (frustrated sigh here)

    Ordered, received, installed null modem cable.

    Set COM1 as directed in manual (except I don't know where specified DIP switch is, if there is one Hmmmmm?).

    Control box will operate all motors using "motor test" button.

    Software operates fine.

    But - any and all keyboard number/letter combinations that normally make robot motors move don't do anything. A "communication error" message is all I get on-screen.

    Tried different settings for COM1 through device manager until I've run out of settings options.

    Tried a "Cables-to-go" D25 to USB and its included drivers. Nothing.

    Even installed a separate board from a company called PERLE but its options won't let me set it for COM1, interrupt 4, even with normal COM1 disabled.

    A "tech" at parent company "Intelitek" told me last year that all I should need is a computer with Win98.

    Currently:

    Windows 98.

    Intel Celeron 1.7 Gateway computer.

    I know a little about C: prompts and MS-DOS, but just enough to be dangerous. Even tried booting in to MS-DOS and running - C:\scorbot\scor2 (level 2 was the last working level) with many different settings. Nothing but "communication error".

    The last time it ran was off an ancient 486-based PC and the original cable was double ended D25.  This computer finally just died and school tech guy said it was toast.

    Ideas?

  • Show all 30 messages in this topic