1029Re: Arduino motor controllers Adafruit

  • Walker
    Jan 5, 2014
      I do have the Adafruit motor shield and it doesn't use I2C. Here is a section from the FAQ:

      The following pins are in use only if the DC/Stepper noted is in use:
      Digital pin 11: DC Motor #1 / Stepper #1 (activation/speed control)
      Digital pin 3: DC Motor #2 / Stepper #1 (activation/speed control)
      Digital pin 5: DC Motor #3 / Stepper #2 (activation/speed control)
      Digital pin 6: DC Motor #4 / Stepper #2 (activation/speed control)

      The following pins are in use if any DC/steppers are used
      Digital pin 4, 7, 8 and 12 are used to drive the DC/Stepper motors via the 74HC595 serial-to-parallel latch.

      So, the good news is it will handle up to 4 motors at about the same cost per motor as the L298N boards (it's using the L293D chip.) But the bad news is it can only handle 0.6a per channel (1.2a peak.)

      I don't have the specs for the Scorbot motors handy but I suspect they might be a bit too beefy for that board.

      --- In ScorbotUserGroup@yahoogroups.com, Paul <pgmcfly@...> wrote:

      > I haven't checked the power requirements, but Adafruit has motor controller shields which operate over I2C and therefore require only 2 pins regardless of how many motors are connected (up to 128 of them).
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic