Re: U.S. Career Institute

  • ljbreda
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 25, 2009
      Sorry if I wasn't clear in my earlier post. When I called USCI for info, I found out that they don't even do what you mentioned about skimming over the generalities of what to do with any type of CAT software. They include some type of "CAT supplement" for you to read on your own, but they don't actually provide any editing practice with even a student version of any type of software during the course of their program. They simply leave it all up to you to learn on your own. That probably isn't such a big deal for many people, but it is for a non-techie like me. :-)

      I don't intend to slam their course in any way since I've never enrolled with them and have never actually seen the course material. I've read messages on other boards from students who seemed to be very satisfied with the course from USCI and were currently working as scopists. Going strictly by the material they sent me and after speaking with a rep by phone, I simply decided their course wasn't the one for me.

      There actually is one training course of which I am aware that offers in-depth training on Case Catalyst software. There is another training course that offers practice with a student version of Eclipse software, and a different training course that offers mini-modules for several of the more popular CAT programs. As far as I know, two of these three training courses will also allow you to "test out" of certain sections and only pay for the learning modules you actually want or need. That really appeals to me since I have 10 years of experience as a medical transcriptionist and I wouldn't want to be forced to pay for and take a course in medical terminology. ;-) Cost will always be a factor in choosing any type of educational program (at least I know it is for me!), but it's nice to have options.

      Lori

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 25, 2009
        Lori,

        It sounds like one of the courses that goes in depth with a CAT system might be the way to go.  I'd say one thing you should do is get a demonstration from each of those CAT vendors to help make a decision on which system you think you want to go with.  That may help you decide which course to take.

        Definitely get lots of feedback from former students about the program(s).

        Sheena