Re: [ScopingBuddies] New Member and advertising

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27, 2007
      Hi Gail!  Welcome to the group.  It seems that it's either feast or famine in this work.  Now, I haven't had famine in a long time, but I have had slow periods where I actually enjoy it.  Most of the time I'm scrambling to stay caught up.  I dread getting too far behind.  I figure it's better to have the feast rather than the famine.  :)

      Some sites I've advertised on in the past when I was in need of another client are as follows:

      Depoman.com

      Counsel.net

      Southwest Steno Services

      The Court Reporters

      Scoping Central

      Stenoserach.com

      The Court Reporting Store

      Scopists.com

      and here at ScopingBuddies!  :))

      Those are all free, I believe.  The NCRA used to place your services at no charge in a scopist directory for members.  I would imagine they still do that.  The membership used to be $100 a year for an associate membership.  Then you could also place an ad in the JCR (their magazine they put out once a month) for a discounted price for members and regular price for non-members.

      Anyone else have a place that they advertise that I missed??

      And for the record, my cat's bed is my lap and keyboard when I'm working.  Drives me nuts!!  :)

    • Gail Abshire
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 27, 2007
        Thanks, Alicia!

        I was aware of some of those sites but certainly not all of them. I
        am an associate member of NCRA and am listed on their site, as well
        as Stenograph's site. If you use their software, they'll let you
        place a listing at Stenograph.com. I'm anxious to check out some of
        the other sites you mentioned.

        One of my regular reporters is on maternity leave, another is cutting
        back on the jobs she's taking, and one just changed careers. I was
        working a lot in the Enron case, and now that gravy train has come to
        an end. :) There are three reporters I proofread for, but
        proofreading alone (at least for me) doesn't put food on the table.
        I've landed one new client recently as a result of my ad at NCRA.
        We're to start working together this week.

        Okay. Enough rambling.

        Alicia, buy your cat an office chair!!! ^ ^
        ..
        Gail ~~
      • Ruthsscoping@cs.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 27, 2007
          Hey, Alicia! Thanks for all those links. I'm sure there's times when we all have some famine!

          Ruth :-)

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 27, 2007
            I hate proofreading for that very reason; it's not lucrative!  I have one client that I do it for still because I've been with her for so long and just love her.  Plus, she would never find anyone to do her work.  If you'd see it, you'd die.  :)  The other gal I proof for is local and only sends stuff to me once in a blue moon, so I can handle that.  The other two clients I have are for scoping.  One sends me things all the time and the other only sends things sporadically.  It works out well for me right now.

            I actually had to cut back about five years ago and dropped my one client.  :(  I ended up writing her in the spring and she took me back after all these years!  I was so excited because I had worked for her for a long time and hated even leaving her back then.  She's the one who sends me work continuously now and has wonderful writing.  God sure did answer my prayers!

            I knew Steongraph used to do that, but when I tried to find it on their site a while back, I couldn't find it.  I just assumed they no longer did that.  Would you mind sending me the link over??  I want to add all of these to the database later.

            Thanks!  Off to eat some lunch.....

            Alicia - Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

            "I love my son with Autism!"
            Click here: Autism Society of America: Autism Society of America Home Page

            ScopingBuddies Group!

            Click here: ScopingBuddies : Scopist, scoping, scope, proofing

            Gardenweb - I love to garden!
            Click here: GardenWeb - The Internet's Garden Community

            freecycle.org - I enjoy giving to others less fortunate!
            Click here: Freecycle™: Changing the World One Gift at a Time

          • Gail Abshire
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 27, 2007
              Alicia, it took me a while to find Stenograph's scopist directory
              also. I think this link should take you there. You may need to copy
              and paste it into your browser.

              http://stenograph.com/pages.aspx?docid=129&id=3920001

              Gail
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 27, 2007
                Okay.  I found it.  It's under Reporter Resources once you get to the home page, then off to the left it says find a scopist or something like that.  I'm actually still in there from placing my ad years ago.  :))

                Thanks, Gail!

                Alicia - Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

                "I love my son with Autism!"
                Click here: Autism Society of America: Autism Society of America Home Page

                ScopingBuddies Group!

                Click here: ScopingBuddies : Scopist, scoping, scope, proofing

                Gardenweb
                - I love to garden!
                Click here: GardenWeb - The Internet's Garden Community

                freecycle.org
                - I enjoy giving to those in need.
                Click here: Freecycle™: Changing the World One Gift at a Time

              • LetsScope@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 27, 2007
                  In a message dated 2/27/2007 11:06:47 A.M. Central Standard Time, afinalword@... writes:
                  And for the record, my cat's bed is my lap and keyboard when I'm working.  Drives me nuts!!  :)
                  Too bad you can't train him/her to type for you too!  Wish mine would.

                  Susie

                  P.S.  That's a good list of places, Alicia.