Re: [ScopingBuddies] New

    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 27 7:28 AM
      Sheena, I may get my head chopped off too, but I agree with you.  I've been doing this since 1996, and it's the slowest it's ever been.  And like you said, when they can, they're scoping it themselves to try and save money.

      Then I get contacted by reporters that have horrible writing, and I just will not put myself through that.  I could make more working at Wal-Mart per hour, and that's not saying much!

      I think that there are a lot of people that want to work from home and think it's an easy job.  Now, this may be where I get my head chopped off, but some don't take it seriously either.  They think, well, if I buy the software, I can just listen to the audio, don't need to learn steno, and I'm all set.  This IS a serious occupation and should be treated as so.  I honestly think that's why the market is flooded.  My cousin said to me the other day, "I can help you scope for some extra money if you need me to."  I just looked at her like, are you serious?!  She knows nothing about this field.  Obviously she doesn't think I do anything important here.  LOL  Just boot up my laptop and read a document.

      I have CRs contacting me saying they had a "scopist," but it didn't work out because they didn't know what they were doing with formatting, etc.  There were untrans left because they couldn't hear it, but had they known how to read steno, they easily could have tranned it out leaving less for the CR to fix upon return of the transcript.  So then that gives the good scopists out there a bad name.  Ugh.  And I'm not trying to tick anyone off out there, but this is just what I'm hearing right now and it's upsetting to me.

      Anyway, just my two cents.....  :)  Have a good day!!!

      Alicia
      Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

      ScopingBuddies Yahoo group - Moderator
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScopingBuddies/

      Access 350+ FREE radio stations anytime from anywhere on the web. Get the Radio Toolbar!
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 27 6:47 PM

        In a message dated 4/27/2009 4:41:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, scopist@... writes:
        I think you are taking the earlier posts to mean something other than they were intended.  Yes, there are persons out there scoping who cannot read steno.  What I was referring to earlier are people with no legal training at all and oftentimes people with very limited education to begin with thinking scoping is easy because it's "just listening to audio and typing."

        I had a girl one time help me that kept writing "litter" instead of "liter" and "once" instead of "ounce."  Those are the people that I was really talking about that just don't take it seriously.  My cousin is one of them, and I love her dearly, but when she went through 10 pages of proofing for me, she spelled "captain" as "captin"!  I knew I was going to go back through her work, but I didn't expect to find errors like that.  So I really don't think she's cut out for this.  That was why I wanted to see how she did.  I just don't think her heart is in it, nor will it ever be.  I still have to break the news to her.  :(

        But I didn't mean to offend anyone.  It's just a matter of opinions, I suppose.  :)  It sounds as though the people responding do have their hearts in this and take it very seriously, so that's good.

        Alicia

        Access 350+ FREE radio stations anytime from anywhere on the web. Get the Radio Toolbar!