Re: [ScopingBuddies] Another question, hyphens

  • Sheena Stobaugh - Premier Scoping Service
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22 2:40 PM
      Susie,

      Do you think it could possibly be a stutter so that a reporter's dash is needed between "basis" and "based"?

      ... but I know it was an agent-type basis -- based company ...

      Sheena
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 22 2:41 PM
        Never mind, group. I think that I've got it.

        Thanks anyway...

        Susie

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 22 4:26 PM
          The best that I can do with your post is this or that:

          Agent-type basis-based company.

          In essence, you've got a cumulative adjective thingie going on here, and I feel that you can get away with the above.

          It's a horrible sentence, but that's what we get in this field.

          :) Linda

          P.S. You don't need a comma between "agent-type and "basis" because of the cumulative adjective rule.

          Scoping with a passion for perfection,

          Linda

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22 4:50 PM
            Hi, Sheena:

            He's a mumbler, which makes it difficult on a video. I'll go back and
            listen again. And when he says "you know," he says it so quickly that
            it's hard to catch.

            thanks,
            Susie

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22 4:51 PM
              .. but I know it was an agent-type basis
              -- based company

              Maybe he was trying to say: agent-type-based company. If so, wouldn't
              it be that way?

              thanks

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 22 4:52 PM
                Thanks, Linda, and to top it off, he mumbles all the time. This is
                going to be a rough videotaped depo.
                I have the audio turned up all the way, but when they start mumbling a
                lot, doesn't matter that much.
                Susie

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 22 5:04 PM

                  But if it's a video, you can't leave out "basis" because he said it.

                  Sheena

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 22 5:53 PM
                    Yeah, I know. I'll just have to do it the best that I can with what
                    I've got. Shoot, wish it wasn't video because you know how they are.+