Re: [ScopingBuddies] Another question, hyphens

  • LetsScope@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
      Hi group:

      This one is a stinker. How would y'all do this, please?

      ....but I know it was an agent-type basis based company...

      he says "agent type basis based company..."

      Thanks,
      Susie
    • Sheena Stobaugh - Premier Scoping Service
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
        Susie,

        Do you think it could possibly be a stutter so that a reporter's dash is needed between "basis" and "based"?

        ... but I know it was an agent-type basis -- based company ...

        Sheena

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
          Never mind, group. I think that I've got it.

          Thanks anyway...

          Susie

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
            The best that I can do with your post is this or that:

            Agent-type basis-based company.

            In essence, you've got a cumulative adjective thingie going on here, and I feel that you can get away with the above.

            It's a horrible sentence, but that's what we get in this field.

            :) Linda

            P.S. You don't need a comma between "agent-type and "basis" because of the cumulative adjective rule.

            Scoping with a passion for perfection,

            Linda

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
              Hi, Sheena:

              He's a mumbler, which makes it difficult on a video. I'll go back and
              listen again. And when he says "you know," he says it so quickly that
              it's hard to catch.

              thanks,
              Susie

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                .. but I know it was an agent-type basis
                -- based company

                Maybe he was trying to say: agent-type-based company. If so, wouldn't
                it be that way?

                thanks

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                  Thanks, Linda, and to top it off, he mumbles all the time. This is
                  going to be a rough videotaped depo.
                  I have the audio turned up all the way, but when they start mumbling a
                  lot, doesn't matter that much.
                  Susie

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009

                    But if it's a video, you can't leave out "basis" because he said it.

                    Sheena

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                      Yeah, I know. I'll just have to do it the best that I can with what
                      I've got. Shoot, wish it wasn't video because you know how they are.+