have two questions

  • LetsScope@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
      Hello group:

      I'm having a brain problem today. One is with the use of the word "on
      site." In this sentence, do you think it's hyphenated?

      A. We contracted out with a company to do IT work, but they weren't on
      site the whole time.

      My next question is use of the word "then."

      Q. And were one of your duties at Blah-blah Company and Blah Company,
      then, dealing with insurance issues?

      Is the word "then" set off by commas in that above sentence?

      I'm sorry, but I'm not with it today and have a new CR that I'm working
      for.

      Thanks,
      Susie
    • Linda Gauthier
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
        "On-site" is always hyphenated because it is an adverb.

        Surround "then" with commas unless "then" is referring to a specific time period.

        :)

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
          Thanks so much for your response.

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
            Hi group:

            This one is a stinker. How would y'all do this, please?

            ....but I know it was an agent-type basis based company...

            he says "agent type basis based company..."

            Thanks,
            Susie
          • Sheena Stobaugh - Premier Scoping Service
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
              Susie,

              Do you think it could possibly be a stutter so that a reporter's dash is needed between "basis" and "based"?

              ... but I know it was an agent-type basis -- based company ...

              Sheena

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                Never mind, group. I think that I've got it.

                Thanks anyway...

                Susie

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                  The best that I can do with your post is this or that:

                  Agent-type basis-based company.

                  In essence, you've got a cumulative adjective thingie going on here, and I feel that you can get away with the above.

                  It's a horrible sentence, but that's what we get in this field.

                  :) Linda

                  P.S. You don't need a comma between "agent-type and "basis" because of the cumulative adjective rule.

                  Scoping with a passion for perfection,

                  Linda

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                    Hi, Sheena:

                    He's a mumbler, which makes it difficult on a video. I'll go back and
                    listen again. And when he says "you know," he says it so quickly that
                    it's hard to catch.

                    thanks,
                    Susie

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                      .. but I know it was an agent-type basis
                      -- based company

                      Maybe he was trying to say: agent-type-based company. If so, wouldn't
                      it be that way?

                      thanks

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                        Thanks, Linda, and to top it off, he mumbles all the time. This is
                        going to be a rough videotaped depo.
                        I have the audio turned up all the way, but when they start mumbling a
                        lot, doesn't matter that much.
                        Susie

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009

                          But if it's a video, you can't leave out "basis" because he said it.

                          Sheena

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                            Yeah, I know. I'll just have to do it the best that I can with what
                            I've got. Shoot, wish it wasn't video because you know how they are.+