Hey Sheena....

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2008
      <<<I've always found that family and friends are worse interrupters than a baby or young child, sadly.  I've offended quite a number of people over the years who didn't seem to understand that I actually do work from home and not just sit on the couch watching TV.  Now that I think about it, when those people called to interrupt my workday, I should have just asked them to come pick up my three-year-old so that I could work.  I'll bet that would have put a stop to them calling and stopping by.  :o)>>>

      I've been in the same boat, Sheena.  My family would call all the time.  My gram is always in need of being checked on, needing things, etc.  When my father passed away in November, it was left up to me and my mom to help out.  My aunt and uncle, who live away, would call up and ask if I could do this, that and the other thing for her.  It really irked me because I work too.  I mean, I love her and would do anything for her, but they act like I don't work just because I'm home.   My aunt can't move back because of her job, my uncle is too set in living in Texas, but it's okay to call Alicia and have her do it all.  URGH!  I work too, you know.  Other family members have called, or neighbors stop by to talk, and it drives me bonkers.  Some days I lose my patience and snap and say, "I can't get any work done today with all of these interruptions.  I can't talk right now."   I feel bad later, but I think as time goes on and the more I do that, people are understanding that I can't always answer my door to chat.  I don't even watch TV because I have no time for that.

      Glad to hear I'm not the only one who goes through that!  It can be very frustrating.  I had a friend one time make a comment to me about why I didn't get a job done since I was home all day, so I told her the next time she went to work, take her ONE child with her and see how much work she gets done.  She's never said anything since.  :)  I guess people just can't comprehend what we do.  ??

      Have a good day......oh, and quit watching TV!!!!  :))

      Alicia - Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

      Click here: Ecclesiastes 3

    • Sheena Stobaugh - Premier Scoping Service
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2008
        Yes, it's amazing that most people just don't get it.  In my situation, the most annoying part is that the callers usually don't want anything except to "check on me."  LOL  I'm 35!  I used to live in town, and my mom would stop by the house almost every single day.  That would be okay if it were a quick visit, but it was always half a day.  I know there are a lot of people out there who will say, oh, your mom won't be around forever; cherish the moments you have with her.  Yeah, but it's the same thing as having a job in an office.  Would your boss allow your mom to hang out in the office and chat for half a day?  No, so she shouldn't be allowed to hang out in your home office half a day either.  That's just the way I have to look at it.  As much as possible, I treat my home office just as I would if I had a boss looking over my shoulder.

        Alicia, you really should write an article about how to get it all done with five kids.  That's amazing.  I am going to be starting a blog soon, and would love to include your article there.

        Sheena Stobaugh
        Scoping since 1996
        Eclipse, Case CATalyst, DigitalCAT
        www.PremierScoping.com

      • Betsee Thompson
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 6, 2008
          Yes, but then I have it the other way.  My mom never calls me.  Nobody ever calls me.  Then they get mad because I don't call them ... I can't win.

          Oh, but my DH insists on calling me when I'm making dinner.  THAT irritates me, usually because I'm hungry, I'm dealing with hungry kids, and he calls to chitchat on his drive home.  Um, just drive and get here and we can talk face to face.  How 'bout that?  Novel idea, call me crazy and all ...

          He did it just this past week:  I'm cooking dinner, changing a dirty diaper on our special needs son, talking to the other kids about their day, trying to get this all ready before hockey practice and he calls.  Come on.  If he'd just leave at 5 and drive his a** home, he'd be there by 5:30.  But no, he's got stay after and talk, then call me to tell me he's on his way.  Oh drives me crazy.

          So that's my take on it :)  LOL
          Betsee

        • Sheena Stobaugh - Premier Scoping Service
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 6, 2008
            Hey, Betsee, I'll have my mom call you.  LOL

            And don't feel bad, my husband does the same thing.  I've often thought the same thing you said: Just talk to me when you get home!  Maybe then I wouldn't be sitting at the computer working until midnight!  He calls all throughout the day, too.  Ugh.  LOL

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 6, 2008
              In a message dated 9/6/2008 11:36:06 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, scopist@... writes:
              Alicia, you really should write an article about how to get it all done with five kids.  That's amazing.  I am going to be starting a blog soon, and would love to include your article there.
              I don't know that I have any great answers of how I get it done.  I probably shouldn't tell you that I have several flower gardens and a big vegetable garden I take care of too.  <grin>  I'm at the point right now where I'm cooking down tomatoes to make salsa to can.  Already canned some dill pickles a few weeks back.  I used to say that if I didn't have to sleep at night, imagine what I could get done!  My mom never sits still and I think I get it from her.  The most I sit still is to work.  :)

              Anyway, I'd be happy to be included in your blog, Sheena.  You do so much.  I think you need to include your own story!!  And I'm sure I'm not alone out there.  Women are so good at multi-tasking!!!

              Alicia - Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal
              ScopingBuddies Yahoo group - Moderator
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScopingBuddies/