Re: [ScopingBuddies] How do you do it?

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 6, 2008
      I have five children and I scope!  LOL  People ask me all the time how I do it.  When I started out I had three children.  They were 18 months old, 3 and 5.  I found that I would lay my baby down at 10:00 every night to work, and then I worked here and there the next day as much as I could.  My husband has never had a set schedule and he works overtime a lot in the evenings.  When he's not on call, I work all weekend to get caught up.   Sometimes if he's here during the day, I have him help for about an hour or so.

      When my fourth child was diagnosed with autism I actually had to drop a client because of the therapy he had to go to, not to mention other issues we had in the home with him.  A few years ago I called her up and said I was back to work again, I needed another client, and she took me back!!  I'm very fortunate to have such a wonderful, understanding client.  The other clients I have are very understanding also.

      I now have a baby that's five months old.  :)  He has lots of things to entertain him.  He has a Bumbo seat that he loves, a play mat, walker, swing, etc.  I just switch him around all day.  He hasn't slept through the night yet.  He gets up twice a night, but hubby helps there.  I think that's why he takes good naps during the day.  He's also a very good baby and smiles all the time.  God sure did help me out in that sense.  :)  My first baby was terrible.  She wouldn't sit in the playpen or play with anything else (kind of like Sheena's nephew).  She's still hard to please to this day!!!!

      My kids are 17, 15, 13, 7 and 5 months old, and over the years I've learned to work around them.  It's also why you won't see too much of me on the forums.  I can either work and take care of my family, or I can sit on the message boards all day and get nothing done.  <gg>

      My mom and mother-in-law are both retired now, so I call upon them when I have a heavy workload.  I work late at night and all weekend.  That's how I do it.  My house is a total mess sometimes.  Ugh.  Now that the kids are back in school, there's less of a mess!!  Whew.  If you have anyone you can call to watch your baby for one day, do it.  Then kick out as much work as you can.  That's what I do.

      I told you all of this because I want you to know that it can be done.  I've been very successful at scoping even though I have so many children.  Sometimes reporters hear how many children I have and think I'm inadequate before trying me out.  Well, I look at that as their loss.  I've been doing this since '96 and haven't ticked someone off yet because I didn't get my work finished or that it was inadequate.  :)
      If you're motivated and determined enough, you'll do it.  :)

      Sheena is right about the money.  It depends on how much you want to make.  I'm not going to get rich scoping, but it's extra money for us and anything helps!  Don't sit and say I want to make X amount of money.  If you do that and then don't match that amount, you'll be sadly disappointed and stressed out over it.  Go in knowing that sometimes you'll make better money one week than the next and accept that.  I don't know how some do it as their sole income, but then again, they probably don't have what's on my plate.  :)  I probably work 20 to 30 hours a week, unless I'm helping out someone else with overflow.  I usually work more then.  I take it when I can get it.

      Stick to it.  I am self-taught and stayed up many nights to get my studying in.  I really think it's a great opportunity for a SAHM.

      I don't what to keep rambling on the board, but if you want to write me personally, feel free to.

      Alicia - Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

      Click here: Ecclesiastes 3

    • EVELYN HOOPER
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 6, 2008
        Well, I will add to this so that there is yet another success story for those starting out!  I have nine children and I scope!  I also hear a lot of how do you do it because I have four little ones here all the time, 4, 3, 2, and my still nursing 14 month old.  I can even manage to get dailies done!  I do go about it differently though, I don't have anyone else watch my kids or enlist help.  I just work around them.  Often, it isn't the little ones that are the cause of interruptions, but the older ones, one is the cheerleading captain (that is a lot of work for me, LOL) and one is volleyball, so sometimes I am up late, sometimes not.

        Money, well, that depends on you.  I have to say that this has been the most lucrative thing I have done at home.  I actually made more money than my husband did last month...he is an electrician.  You might want to make yourself a page goal.  Currently my goal is 100 pages a day.  With my best official I can easily do 200 pages a day, and then I have a freelance reporter that let's just say won't be doing real time.  100 pages a day with her, more of a challenge.  For all you newbies, stick with it!  It is a fun, challenging career choice and it affords the flexibility to your family that most of us want.

        Evelyn Hooper
        Mother to Joey, 20; Jessica, 19; Justine, 18; Jaylene, 17; Jamie, 12; our angel baby James, July 19-31, 2002; Jennifer, 4; Jaida, 2; and Jordyn, 13 months
        Grandmother to Aydan, 3

[...]

        ScopingBuddies Yahoo group - Moderator http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ScopingBud dies/

        Click here: Ecclesiastes 3

      • ppaulaann68@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 6, 2008
          Well I have to say you've all inspired and motivated me - THANK YOU !!

          --
          Paula Fogerty
          Independant Consultant

          "There is no substitute for books in the life of a child". ~Mary Ellen Chase~

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 6, 2008
            When mine was young, I got one of those kitchen egg timers. I would set
            her down with a toy or book, and tell her that I had to work. I would
            explain that when the timer rang, she and I would have play time
            together. Then I would set the timer for about 20 minutes. She knew
            that when the timer rang again, it was time for mommy to work again. It
            didn't take too long for her to get used to that arrangement. It
            allowed me a set amount of time to get work accomplished, but it made
            her feel like she was getting attention on a regular basis as well. I
            started out with the work time and play time being short, and I
            gradually increased them so that I was able to eventually work a good 30
            to 45 minutes uninterrupted. Of course, during the play times, I played
            whatever her little heart desired.

            It may not work for everyone, but it worked well for me getting to
            accomplish time with my child and work time throughout the day. I also
            worked when she napped, after she went to bed, and before she got up.

            HTH,
            Ang
          • lkalin34
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 17, 2008
              Hi everyone, I have been a 'lurker' for quite awhile. I have to say
              these posts were the most encouraging I have read. I am new and just
              learning. These posts gave me encouragement to keep going. Thank
              you, thank you.
              Lynn

              ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com<mailto:ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com>

              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScopingBuddies/<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScopingBuddies/>

              > Click here: Ecclesiastes 3

              > Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus
              the latest fall trends and hair styles at
              StyleList.com<http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014>.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 17, 2008
                Hi Lynn.  I'm glad the posts have been helpful to you.  Everyone in the various forums are usually very helpful, so when you have a question, just ask away.  We're all here to help!

                Good luck in your studies.