Re: [ScopingBuddies] How do you do it?

  • Sheena Stobaugh - Premier Scoping Service
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5, 2008
      I'll tell you what; I just watched my seven-month-old nephew for a few days last week, and it was terrible trying to get anything done.  He was never happy in his walker or anywhere else, for that matter.  He wanted constant attention.

      I started scoping full time when my son was almost three.  I did it on a part-time basis before that, but his grandparents helped out a lot at that time because I was also working a full-time job.  After going full time, I can remember certain days of the week taking him to daycare because I just couldn't get anything done.  He was into everything.

      I had taken on a responsibility of getting a certain job or jobs done within a specified period, and I just had to deliver on that, no matter what.

      I would say to have a pretty rigid schedule would help.  Have hubby be the grocery shopper and errand runner, if possible.  See if there is a mom's day out program available where you could leave the baby for a few hours to get some uninterrupted time to work.  Work when he naps, even though you probably feel like you'd like to nap also.  :o)  Getting up early and staying up late are, unfortunately, the norm for this line of work.  If worse comes to worse, you may have to have hubby watch the baby while you work all weekend.

      I've always found that family and friends are worse interrupters than a baby or young child, sadly.  I've offended quite a number of people over the years who didn't seem to understand that I actually do work from home and not just sit on the couch watching TV.  Now that I think about it, when those people called to interrupt my workday, I should have just asked them to come pick up my three-year-old so that I could work.  I'll bet that would have put a stop to them calling and stopping by.  :o)

      Really, with small children, you've got to sacrifice something.  What, only you can decide.  You can either sacrifice the time you spend with your kids or sacrifice some money by taking on less work.  I chose less work.  I figured out realistically how many pages per day I could do, and I took on no more than that.  If my mom or in-laws were taking the kids for the weekend, I took on more work to make up for it.  I was single at the time, so no hubby to help out.

      I don't know what type of "decent paycheck" you're looking to earn.  That's a pretty subjective term, so I can't help with that one without more information.  Myself, thinking about scoping with a one-year-old based on what I encountered last week, I'd estimate I could scope 50-75 pages a day with a realtime-quality writer.  You're just starting out, so you're probably looking at considerably less than that.  That's about the best I can answer that question.

      I hope some of this has helped.

      Sheena Stobaugh
      Scoping since 1996
      Eclipse, Case CATalyst, DigitalCAT
      www.PremierScoping.com
    • Denise Stuard
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 5, 2008
        I am in the exact same boat as you.  I have a 1 year old son and he is into EVERYTHING - ALL THE TIME.  It's non-stop.  I am currently a student at BeST, so I work on my courses as I get time.  I am almost done and have only been working on it since June.  I struggle with how I'm going to be able to make this work for me.  I have a hubby, but he works 3rd shift, so he sleeps during the day, which is of no help to me.  I am thinking about getting one of those octagon shaped playyard type gates and putting my son in it for an hour here and there during the day with some toys to keep him occupied safely, so that I don't have to chase him around and can get some work done.  I also stay up late, so I can get some hours there too, and I will make myself get up early and drink a pot of coffee if it will help.

        Anyways, I know I'm no help, since I'm just a student and have no true hands-on experience yet, but I just wanted to let you know I am right there with ya!

        Denise

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 6, 2008
          I have five children and I scope!  LOL  People ask me all the time how I do it.  When I started out I had three children.  They were 18 months old, 3 and 5.  I found that I would lay my baby down at 10:00 every night to work, and then I worked here and there the next day as much as I could.  My husband has never had a set schedule and he works overtime a lot in the evenings.  When he's not on call, I work all weekend to get caught up.   Sometimes if he's here during the day, I have him help for about an hour or so.

          When my fourth child was diagnosed with autism I actually had to drop a client because of the therapy he had to go to, not to mention other issues we had in the home with him.  A few years ago I called her up and said I was back to work again, I needed another client, and she took me back!!  I'm very fortunate to have such a wonderful, understanding client.  The other clients I have are very understanding also.

          I now have a baby that's five months old.  :)  He has lots of things to entertain him.  He has a Bumbo seat that he loves, a play mat, walker, swing, etc.  I just switch him around all day.  He hasn't slept through the night yet.  He gets up twice a night, but hubby helps there.  I think that's why he takes good naps during the day.  He's also a very good baby and smiles all the time.  God sure did help me out in that sense.  :)  My first baby was terrible.  She wouldn't sit in the playpen or play with anything else (kind of like Sheena's nephew).  She's still hard to please to this day!!!!

          My kids are 17, 15, 13, 7 and 5 months old, and over the years I've learned to work around them.  It's also why you won't see too much of me on the forums.  I can either work and take care of my family, or I can sit on the message boards all day and get nothing done.  <gg>

          My mom and mother-in-law are both retired now, so I call upon them when I have a heavy workload.  I work late at night and all weekend.  That's how I do it.  My house is a total mess sometimes.  Ugh.  Now that the kids are back in school, there's less of a mess!!  Whew.  If you have anyone you can call to watch your baby for one day, do it.  Then kick out as much work as you can.  That's what I do.

          I told you all of this because I want you to know that it can be done.  I've been very successful at scoping even though I have so many children.  Sometimes reporters hear how many children I have and think I'm inadequate before trying me out.  Well, I look at that as their loss.  I've been doing this since '96 and haven't ticked someone off yet because I didn't get my work finished or that it was inadequate.  :)
          If you're motivated and determined enough, you'll do it.  :)

          Sheena is right about the money.  It depends on how much you want to make.  I'm not going to get rich scoping, but it's extra money for us and anything helps!  Don't sit and say I want to make X amount of money.  If you do that and then don't match that amount, you'll be sadly disappointed and stressed out over it.  Go in knowing that sometimes you'll make better money one week than the next and accept that.  I don't know how some do it as their sole income, but then again, they probably don't have what's on my plate.  :)  I probably work 20 to 30 hours a week, unless I'm helping out someone else with overflow.  I usually work more then.  I take it when I can get it.

          Stick to it.  I am self-taught and stayed up many nights to get my studying in.  I really think it's a great opportunity for a SAHM.

          I don't what to keep rambling on the board, but if you want to write me personally, feel free to.

          Alicia - Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

          Click here: Ecclesiastes 3

        • EVELYN HOOPER
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 6, 2008
            Well, I will add to this so that there is yet another success story for those starting out!  I have nine children and I scope!  I also hear a lot of how do you do it because I have four little ones here all the time, 4, 3, 2, and my still nursing 14 month old.  I can even manage to get dailies done!  I do go about it differently though, I don't have anyone else watch my kids or enlist help.  I just work around them.  Often, it isn't the little ones that are the cause of interruptions, but the older ones, one is the cheerleading captain (that is a lot of work for me, LOL) and one is volleyball, so sometimes I am up late, sometimes not.

            Money, well, that depends on you.  I have to say that this has been the most lucrative thing I have done at home.  I actually made more money than my husband did last month...he is an electrician.  You might want to make yourself a page goal.  Currently my goal is 100 pages a day.  With my best official I can easily do 200 pages a day, and then I have a freelance reporter that let's just say won't be doing real time.  100 pages a day with her, more of a challenge.  For all you newbies, stick with it!  It is a fun, challenging career choice and it affords the flexibility to your family that most of us want.

            Evelyn Hooper
            Mother to Joey, 20; Jessica, 19; Justine, 18; Jaylene, 17; Jamie, 12; our angel baby James, July 19-31, 2002; Jennifer, 4; Jaida, 2; and Jordyn, 13 months
            Grandmother to Aydan, 3

[...]

            ScopingBuddies Yahoo group - Moderator http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ScopingBud dies/

            Click here: Ecclesiastes 3

          • ppaulaann68@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 6, 2008
              Well I have to say you've all inspired and motivated me - THANK YOU !!

              --
              Paula Fogerty
              Independant Consultant

              "There is no substitute for books in the life of a child". ~Mary Ellen Chase~

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 6, 2008
                When mine was young, I got one of those kitchen egg timers. I would set
                her down with a toy or book, and tell her that I had to work. I would
                explain that when the timer rang, she and I would have play time
                together. Then I would set the timer for about 20 minutes. She knew
                that when the timer rang again, it was time for mommy to work again. It
                didn't take too long for her to get used to that arrangement. It
                allowed me a set amount of time to get work accomplished, but it made
                her feel like she was getting attention on a regular basis as well. I
                started out with the work time and play time being short, and I
                gradually increased them so that I was able to eventually work a good 30
                to 45 minutes uninterrupted. Of course, during the play times, I played
                whatever her little heart desired.

                It may not work for everyone, but it worked well for me getting to
                accomplish time with my child and work time throughout the day. I also
                worked when she napped, after she went to bed, and before she got up.

                HTH,
                Ang
              • lkalin34
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 17, 2008
                  Hi everyone, I have been a 'lurker' for quite awhile. I have to say
                  these posts were the most encouraging I have read. I am new and just
                  learning. These posts gave me encouragement to keep going. Thank
                  you, thank you.
                  Lynn

                  ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com<mailto:ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com>

                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScopingBuddies/<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScopingBuddies/>

                  > Click here: Ecclesiastes 3

                  > Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus
                  the latest fall trends and hair styles at
                  StyleList.com<http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014>.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 17, 2008
                    Hi Lynn.  I'm glad the posts have been helpful to you.  Everyone in the various forums are usually very helpful, so when you have a question, just ask away.  We're all here to help!

                    Good luck in your studies.