question about CR's dictionary

  • LetsScope@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2008
      Hi everyone:

      I have a question. I have Case, but I just have the edit portion of
      it. I have a CR that I've worked with for a while off and on who took
      off to have a baby back several months ago. She wants me to work for
      her again. But here's my problem, her dictionary is the pits. I have
      no idea what's wrong with it and why she won't fix it, but just as an
      example, the word "just" is "jus" in her dictionary. There are many
      words like this that are only partials and messed up stuff.

      Now, my question is, can I fix her dictionary myself since I just have
      the edit? I define for her all the time.

      I'm just curious. I've never fixed a Case dictionary before.

      Thanks,
      Susie
    • Charlotte
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 26, 2008
        Hi Susie-

        I do dictionary work all the time in my edit only version. Here's
        what you do:

        When you want to edit a stroke into her dictionary, D-define it on
        your end. All of the D-defines go into a folder called Update Area
        in your System Files.

        If you need to edit anything in there for any reason, you can go into
        the file, add, modify, and delete, just like a regular dictionary
        file.

        When you're ready to send it to her, back up the Update Area file and
        send. On her end, she needs to restore the file, then merge it with
        her Personal Dictionary file, also in the System Files folder. To do
        this is a simple drag and drop operation; drag the Update Area file
        over the Personal Dictionary file and drop. If there are any
        conflicts, a screen will pop up for each one, giving her the option
        to keep the old definition, keep the new one, or create a conflict.

        One other option I do sometimes with my lazier or less computer savvy
        CRs, I have them back up their dictionaries and send them to me. I
        follow the same procedures listed above, and I also go into their
        dictionary files and correct mistakes, such as you're talking about
        with 'jus' for 'just.' I would go into the Personal Dictionary file
        and modify those entries. (For this I charge extra, as it is extra
        time I spend.) When I'm ready, I back up the Personal Dictionary,
        send it back to the CR, and have them overwrite their old file with
        the new. (It's their own dictionary. They haven't lost anything,
        just had corrections done.)

        Hope this helps!!

        -Charlotte

        --- In ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com, LetsScope@... wrote:

        > Hi everyone:
        >
        > I have a question. I have Case, but I just have the edit portion
        of
        > it. I have a CR that I've worked with for a while off and on who
        took
        > off to have a baby back several months ago. She wants me to work
        for
        > her again. But here's my problem, her dictionary is the pits. I
        have
        > no idea what's wrong with it and why she won't fix it, but just as
        an
        > example, the word "just" is "jus" in her dictionary. There are
        many
        > words like this that are only partials and messed up stuff.
        >
        > Now, my question is, can I fix her dictionary myself since I just
        have
        > the edit? I define for her all the time.
        >
        > I'm just curious. I've never fixed a Case dictionary before.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Susie

      • XoGinaXo
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 26, 2008
          I do as stated below, but I actually manage her ENTIRE dictionary, meaning I D-define entries, etc.
          I then back it up and she restores and replaces her current one with mine.  I had to do this to get
          rid of a ridiculous amount of untrans by defining phrases that could never be the other word, e.g.,
          the <how was><house> was on Main Street.  I know it would never be "how was" so I would define
          "the house."  I know this sounds crazy, but you could never begin to understand how many conflicts
          this girl had.  To give you an idea, her dictionary started with 23,000 entries and it now has over 71,000
          entries all done by me to get rid of conflicts, untrans mostly.  Less work for me in the long run!!

          One other option I do sometimes with my lazier or less computer savvy
          CRs, I have them back up their dictionaries and send them to me. I
          follow the same procedures listed above, and I also go into their
          dictionary files and correct mistakes, such as you're talking about
          with 'jus' for 'just.' I would go into the Personal Dictionary file
          and modify those entries. (For this I charge extra, as it is extra
          time I spend.) When I'm ready, I back up the Personal Dictionary,
          send it back to the CR, and have them overwrite their old file with
          the new.20 (It's their own dictionary. They haven't lost anything,
          just had corrections done.)

          X♥X♥X♥
          Gina Ü

          www.flickr.com/photos/gina4xoxoxo

          I do dictionary work all the time in my edit only version. Here's
          what you do:

          When you want to edit a stroke into her dictionary, D-define it on
          your end. All of the D-defines go into a folder called Update Area
          in your System Files.

          If you need to edit anything in there for any reason, you can go into
          the file, add, modify, and delete, just like a regular dictionary
          file.

          When you're ready to send it to her, back up the Update Area file and
          send. On her end, she needs to restore the file, then merge it with
          her Personal Dictionary file, also in20the System Files folder. To do