Finding Scopists/Reporters

  • young4everac
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
      I often give advice to reporters and scopists about ways to find each
      other. I've given the advice out so much, I've been asked to post it.
      So below is my advice on how a reporter can find a good scopist and
      how a scopist can find a good reporter. It's a little article I wrote
      and sent to the JCR. As of now they haven't published it, but
      hopefully posting it will help everyone.

      Ang
      How to Hire a Scopist or Work with a Reporter

      If you frequent the many, many reporter and/or scoping forums that
      exist today, you've heard at least one horror story in your time of a
      reporter who hired a scopist that didn't return the job or didn't
      scope the job as if they even knew the English language. On the other
      side of the coin, you've probably heard at least one horror story of a
      scopist that didn't get paid by a reporter for the work they'd done
      correctly. In this day and age of global business and Internet
      interaction, how should anyone go about finding someone to work with
      and be able to feel comfortable that the person they've found is
      trustworthy, ethical, professional, etc., especially when so much of
      this part of the industry is handled via the Internet? While nobody
      can be fully protected when dealing with any unknown Internet company,
      there are things you can do to truly maximize the chances of working
      with someone who is professional, ethical, and honest. Below are
      things that reporters and scopists can do when contacting each other
      for the first time.

      1. Get a lot of contact information from each other and talk on the
      phone together before the first job is even sent.
      2. Don't make working on a rush job or large job your first connection
      in building a reporter-scopist relationship. It's better to work out
      the style differences, format preferences, how to send audio, etc.,
      with a small job.
      3. Make sure both of you are clear about the expectations, turnaround
      times, rates, and payment schedules.
      4. Don't hesitate to ask for references.

      a. Reporters, any scopist who is serious about their job will
      be happy to ask a reporter they've worked with if they will provide a
      reference. If they're a new scopist, consider mentoring them.

      b. Scopists, ask the reporter for the name of a scopist they've
      worked with in the past. If they've never used a scopist, consider
      mentoring them.

      5. Ask many questions:

      a. Reporters should ask questions like: Do you ever outsource
      any of the work that's sent to you; where did you learn to scope; do
      you read steno; do you listen to full audio, intermittent audio, or
      scope with no audio; etc.
      b. Scopists should ask questions like: Are you an official or
      a freelancer; do you expect full audio, intermittent audio, or no
      audio; are you looking for a full-time scopist or a backup scopist; etc.

      6. Lastly, as a reporter, you're hiring a business to perform a
      service for you. As a scopist, you are a business providing a
      service. Both parties should expect to be treated and treat each
      other as you would any other business relationship. Doing so will go
      a long way in building a great reporter-scopist relationship.

      Ways to find scopists:
      1. Ask other reporters for names of scopists that they've used.
      2. If you know a scopist that can't help you, ask if they can
      recommend someone.
      3. Be active on the many, many forums that exist on the Internet.
      4. Check with your CAT system vendor.

      Ways to find reporters:
      1. Post ads on the many, many forums that exist on the Internet.
      2. Post an ad with your CAT system vendors.
      3. Be active on the many, many forums that exist so that people can
      get to know you.
      4. If possible, create a Web site.
      5. Let other scopists know you're available for work.

      Some forums and/or places to advertise or connect:
      CourtReporterNet: www.courtreporternet.com
      CRF (The Court Reporters Forum):
      http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&webtag=ws-crforum
      OR http://go.compuserve.com/CourtReporters
      CSR Nation: http://www.csrnation.com/
      Keith Vincent's Site: http://kvincent.com/html/scopists.html
      Scoping Central: www.scopingcentral.com
      Scopists Support Group:
      Scopists.com: www.scopists.com
      StenoSearch: www.stenosearch.com
      T3: http://www.totaltranscripttransfer.com/findascopist.htm

      CAT vendors and other vendors:
      Advantage (Eclipse) Site: www.eclipsecat.com
      AristoCAT: www.aristocat.com
      DepoBook: www.depobook.com
      Depoman: www.depoman.com
      NCRA: www.ncraonline.org
      ProCat: www.procat.com
      Stenograph: www.stenograph.com
      Stenovations: www.stenovations.com

      Hopefully the above information will help reporters and scopists to
      have productive and professional relationships while minimizing the
      problems that can arise out of global Internet business.
      Lastly, I know many scopists, when they're unable to help a reporter,
      will try to help the reporter that is looking for a scopist. I've
      been asked the question of what do I tell reporters when recommending
      another scopist. Here is my answer to that question:

      First, I'm honest with them about the fact that I haven't seen the
      work of other scopists. I can only recommend names based off of forum
      posts and any contact I've had with them. I tell them it's okay to
      ask for references, to make sure the scopist can read steno, to never
      give a large or expedited job for the first few jobs, to talk to them
      on the phone before sending the first job, to make sure everything is
      clear and in writing about the expectations on both sides, and to
      understand that it takes time to build a relationship, i.e., there
      needs to be lots of communication, especially during the first few
      jobs as preferences are honed and questions answered.

      I also tell them that if they have more than one scopist to choose
      from, try them all and see who fits best. I tell them that they need
      to get a feel for whether the scopist is running a real business or
      some fly-by-night operation. I also make it clear that it's a
      partnership in that they have to work together to put out the best
      transcript possible; that they need to treat the scopist like a
      business; and that they should be expected to be treated like a client.

      I've passed names to reporters based on what little I know about other
      scopists. Since I've never seen another scopist's work, I can only
      rely on posts on forums and any interaction I've had with other
      scopists. I basically tell them that I've seen this person post and
      they seem to know what they're doing, they ask good questions, they
      offer good answers to questions from others, etc. That's about all I
      can do.

      Any industry is always going to have some people that don't take pride
      in their work or think they know what they're doing when they don't or
      believe their way is the only way to accomplish a goal or have no
      business even being in that industry, etc. I'd like to see scopists
      and reporters working together to find the best matches so that there
      are less horror stories in our industry and more successes. It's a
      team effort, and hopefully the above information will help people to
      find their right team.

      Ang
    • KK Daniels
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
        Obviously, this was very well thought out, Ang.  Thank you so much for the very useful information.  This one is a keeper and belongs in my "favs."

        KK

        Court Reporters: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Court- Reporters/
        Keith Vincent's Site: http://kvincent. com/html/ scopists. html
        Scoping Buddies: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ScopingBud dies/
        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/scopistssu pportgroup/ messages

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
          Thanks for posting that, Ang.  Great job!

          Alicia - Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

          Click here: Ecclesiastes 3

          Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.
        • rory_k_nielsen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
            I'd like to thank you for posting this, as well. I printed it out
            and will be studying it when the time comes to offer my services as
            a scopist.

            I'm a student with ISS and it will be a while before I graduate. I
            passed my Notereading final and am waiting to begin my Medical
            Terminology module.

            I also decided to try my hand at proofreading to get my feet wet and
            I'm responding to a request I saw on the ISS forum for a backup
            proofreader. Even though the reporter probably has what she
            needs by now, I'm just excited about starting to get my name out
            there.

            ~~Rory~~

            --- In ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com, afinalword@... wrote:

            > Thanks for posting that, Ang. Great job!
            >
            > Alicia - Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal
            > d/b/a The Final Word
            > 724.832.0800 (business/fax)
            > 724.832.7655 (home)
            > 724.961.5902 (cell)
            >

            > _Click here: Ecclesiastes 3_

            (http://www.biblesociety.ca/free_scriptures/escriptures/ecclesiastes3
            /ecclesiastes3.html)

            > **************Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife.
            City's Best
            > 2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)

          • AngieR
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2008
              KK, Alicia, and Rory,

              You're all very welcome.

              I truly believe that the reporter-scopist relationship is a
              relationship. It behooves everyone involved in that relationship to
              take the time to communicate and get a feel for what kind of
              relationship they're considering taking on.

              I'm glad the information is helping others.

              Ang
            • Barb Hurst
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 12, 2008
                Great info, Ang. Thanks so much!!