Does Notereading Get Any Easier?

  • rory_k_nielsen
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
      I'm about a week into my Notereading module (I'm in ISS) and am on
      lesson 20 out of 56 lessons.

      I'm frustrated that I still have to look at steno I should already
      know and have to sit there sounding it out. My main problem is I'm
      having trouble determining whether it's a brief or supposed to be an
      actual word. I'm making progress, but it's slow.

      How long did it take you to look at the word and know right away what
      it was?

      Thanks.

      ~~Rory~~
    • Linda Gauthier
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
        Can you post a couple of examples that you're having trouble with?

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
          Rory,

          It sounds to me like you may be pushing yourself too fast through the lessons.  You shouldn't proceed on to another lesson until you have the current one fully ingrained in your head.  I can't remember exactly when you started your training, but to already be through 20 lessons seems a bit fast for the length of time I seem to recall you've been training.  I went to a brick-and-mortar school for training, and it took us a full three months just for notereading.  That was five hours per day.  Some students had to take an additional three months in order to master it.

          You'll know you're getting it when HR is no longer HR to your eye, it's L; PH is M, etc.  You should be able to read every word of steno in your lesson with ease before you move on to the next lesson.  Doing anything otherwise isn't doing yourself any favors.  So my advice is just to relax, slow down, take your time in training to make sure you're well trained.

          When I was in school, we went through a few lessons a week, took tests on those lessons, and then on Fridays, we went back for a review over the lessons we'd done that week.  That review was wonderful.

          Sheena
          FREE  Animations for your email - By IncrediMail! Click Here!
        • Kathleen Iuzzolino
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
            I'm a former reporter.  When I was in reporting school, theory (steno writing and reading) took place over the course of the first full year.  We didn't even begin with speed building until after the first year was over.

            Kathleen

            --
            Kathleen Iuzzolino
            kiuzzolino@...
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
              Thanks, Sheena, that's one of the things I needed to know. I was
              thinking I was going too fast, even while I was typing the message.
              I started my training about a month ago. Not having anything to
              compare it to, I didn't know if I was where I should be.

              I'll concentrate on studying and perfecting what I've done so far,
              before I go any further.

              Thanks again.

              ~~Rory~~

              --- In ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com, "Sheena Stobaugh"