BOLO Non-Paying Reporter Actively Seeking Scopist

  • bohemianmelodies
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      I'm new to the group, but I wanted to warn everyone of a non-payer
      because I think this reporter may make the rounds and do this to a lot
      of scopists. And since I know this reporter is on an active hunt for a
      scopist right this minute, I had to get the word out. He told me he
      was considering getting rid of his current scopist, but from everything
      that happened to me, I think there is no steady scopist, and that this
      reporter leaves a trail of unpaid bills instead.

      Just for background, I was a reporter for 20-plus years, so I know what
      we should be able to expect as scopists. And I'm not that picky and I
      try to be helpful because I feel part of our job is to take the stress
      off the reporters and not bother them with stupid stuff. But my inner
      voice was screaming about this reporter, and I was stupid enough to
      ignore my intuition.

      This reporter was a pretty bad writer, had a lot of misstrokes, and
      also sent me a transcript that had so many untranslates for things that
      are basic novice dictionary entries, that I spent a ton of time making
      dictionary entries just to edit this thing. And with the credentials
      that this reporter had, the dictionary should have been a lot better
      than it was. It was a nightmare and my production was slowed way, way
      down.

      I finally threw up my hands and sent it back with a bill for what I had
      done and an explanation as to why. I had sent a couple of e-mails in
      between explaining the problems I was having and that my production was
      cut in half because of the lack of dictionary entries and all the veyr
      unusual punctionation I had to manually put in.

      The other thing was I got no spellings from this reporter, even thought
      the transcript was filled with doctors' names, clinics, hospitals, and
      many other things I had to look up. Don't get me wrong -- that's part
      of our job. But I spent an enormous amount of time on the Internet
      researching these names because I'm conscientious. But I didn't get
      even one spelling from the reporter, nor did the reporter bother to
      global anything in so that at least some of the spellings were there.
      That should have been my first clue, because most reporters a few
      entries at least before they send the transcript to try to help out.

      It's like this job was just thrown at me with no effort from the
      reporter at all for minor things, like we're just supposed to clean up
      the mess and not speak up about it.

      But aside from that, I did a great job on the part I did, listening to
      everything verbatim, adding the enormous amount of time-consuming
      punctuation that was absent, doing all that research, and gave a very
      good product for the portion I had done.

      The e-mail I got back was because I didn't complete the job, he was not
      going to pay me anything for the almost 100 pages I sent. That is
      totally unacceptable for the product that he received. And it's
      expecially unacceptable for the product that he initially gave me.

      I'm quite sure I'm not the first scopist to send back a transcript, and
      I'll bet that I'm not the first scopist that this reporter has refused
      to pay. The e-mail was too smooth and practiced. I'd venture to say
      this may be one of those reporters that uses us for what they can get
      out of us and then refuses to pay the bill for some contrived reasons.

      I'm just happy I didn't do the whole thing, and I'm even happier that I
      didn't stick it out and do a bunch of pages for 15 days before I
      billed, like we had originally agreed to. I have no doubt that I would
      have received a very similar e-mail refusing to pay me.

      I'm happy to share the name if you e-mail me privately, but the
      initials are RC in the south.
    • Sally Weeks
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008

        Thanks for the info.  I’ll be on the lookout.  What CAT system is he on?  Also, where did you report?  I was a reporter for over 25 years, moved to Florida and decided to scope.  No money in these parts for reporting.  J

        Sally

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
          I will email you privately, but I've also returned a transcript because of the same reasons you mentioned.  So you are definitely not the first scopist to have done that.  They paid me, but they were very upset with me.  Life's too short to deal with people like that and I didn't get in to this business to be ripped off.  I don't enjoy not getting paid or treated like a dog.

          Alicia - Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

        • bohemianmelodies
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
            Oopsie, I'm the original poster, and I was reading this over just now
            and saw a bunch of typos!!! I was just excited and agitated, so
            forgive me. I'm really red in the face right now!

            --- In ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com, "bohemianmelodies"
            <bohemianmelodies@...> wrote:

> [...]
            and
            > I'll bet that I'm not the first scopist that this reporter has
            refused
            > to pay. The e-mail was too smooth and practiced. I'd venture to
            say
            > this may be one of those reporters that uses us for what they can
            get
            > out of us and then refuses to pay the bill for some contrived
            reasons.

            > I'm just happy I didn't do the whole thing, and I'm even happier
            that I
            > didn't stick it out and do a bunch of pages for 15 days before I
            > billed, like we had originally agreed to. I have no doubt that I
            would
            > have received a very similar e-mail refusing to pay me.
            >
            > I'm happy to share the name if you e-mail me privately, but the

          • bohemianmelodies
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
              Right on, sister!!

              --- In ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com, afinalword@... wrote:

              > I will email you privately, but I've also returned a transcript
              because of
              > the same reasons you mentioned. So you are definitely not the
              first scopist
              > to have done that. They paid me, but they were very upset with
              me. Life's
              > too short to deal with people like that and I didn't get in to
              this business to
              > be ripped off. I don't enjoy not getting paid or treated like a
              dog.

              > Alicia - Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal
              > d/b/a The Final Word
              > 724.832.0800 (business/fax)
              > 724.832.7655 (home)
              > 724.961.5902 (cell)
              >

              > **************It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL
              Money &
              > Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)

            • bohemianmelodies
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
                He's on Eclipse. Forgot to put that in!!

                I was a reporter in Florida for my entire career. We moved to
                Alabama for my husband's job, and I was told that they wanted
                something to "offer up to the attorneys." And I ain't sellin' that!

                So as a desperate last resort, I started scoping. And as they say,
                everything happens for a reason. My son has Asperger's, and as he's
                gotten older, I need to be able to respond to his needs quickly
                sometimes, which I couldn't do while reporting.

                So we live in West Texas now and are very happy, and I thank my lucky
                stars for this alternate career that court reporting gave me.

                --- In ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com, "Sally Weeks" <s_weeks@...>