Re: [ScopingBuddies] Grand Jury

    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 15, 2008
      In a message dated 2/15/2008 9:01:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, scopist@... writes:
      I'll have to ask my reporter about security clearance and see what she says.  I guess I never even thought about it.

      Sheena
      I don't know that much either.  That's why I was asking the group.  I'm just going off of what the agency is telling me now, etc.  I figured if I get clearance, it's another "credential" I can list for myself and my business.  Heck, why not!  :)

      I just printed out my form to fill out.  It's about 10 pages.  :)

      Alicia - Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

      The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. AOL Music takes you there.
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 15, 2008
        In a message dated 2/15/2008 9:09:59 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, s_weeks@... writes:

        The fingerprinting part is painless.  LOL

        This agency said they no longer use ink.  It's all done on a computer screen now.  Cool.  At least it won't be messy.  Just a little humiliating going in the police station saying I need fingerprinted.  <grin>

        Alicia - Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

        The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. AOL Music takes you there.
      • Pat Porter
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 15, 2008
          One thing I remember about my Kentucky experience was that the feds
          were paying the reporter less than her normal rate because it was
          government work. I don't remember what I charged her, though.

          But more recently, I've been charging close to a transcribing rate
          because that's basically what I end up doing. And no complaints from
          the reporter.

          Pat
        • Faye Bryant, Scopist
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 15, 2008
            My husband and I were recently fingerprinted for a different reason -- we're a volunteer family for a local children's ministry -- and the process was quick and easy and not messy at all. No INK! The person "taking" them directs you in placing your fingers on a special scanner screen and captures it. Then if it's not good, they tell you to do it again. For both of us it was less than 15 minutes! (And I REALLY wanted to play with the software!)
            This was done at the UPS Store.

            Faye

            Gee, I can't wait to go get fingerprinted.  LOL  Ugh.

            Alicia - Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

            .

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 15, 2008
              In a message dated 2/15/2008 9:40:03 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, pmporter@... writes:
              One thing I remember about my Kentucky experience was that the feds
              were paying the reporter less than her normal rate because it was
              government work. I don't remember what I charged her, though.

              But more recently, I've been charging close to a transcribing rate
              because that's basically what I end up doing. And no complaints from
              the reporter.

              Pat
              This is for my current reporter, and her writing is great.  Now, with that being said, as far as working for any other reporter in the agency, I don't know that I will do that if their writing is for crap because I have to give the agency a rate I'll charge so the other reporters know, but I'm not taking transcription work at a scoping rate.  I'll probably just stick with my reporter from that agency.  We'll see.  :)

              Alicia - Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

              The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. AOL Music takes you there.
            • Sheena Stobaugh
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 15, 2008
                Alicia,

                You could quote them a rate and then add a disclaimer that the rate will be adjusted on a case-by-case basis if it is determined by you that there is an excessive amount of editing required beyond a certain threshold.  If they ask what that means, then just lay it out in no uncertain terms that if the notes are in such a condition that the editing becomes transcription, you will charge accordingly.

                Sheena
                FREE Emoticons for your email – by IncrediMail! Click Here!
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 15, 2008
                  In a message dated 2/15/2008 10:55:56 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, scopist@... writes:
                  You could quote them a rate and then add a disclaimer that the rate will be adjusted on a case-by-case basis if it is determined by you that there is an excessive amount of editing required beyond a certain threshold.  If they ask what that means, then just lay it out in no uncertain terms that if the notes are in such a condition that the editing becomes transcription, you will charge accordingly.

                  Sheena
                  That's what I'm going to do.  I left that part blank until I can figure out how to fit it all in in the small space they provided.

                  Thanks, Sheena!
                  Alicia

                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 15, 2008
                    That's what I'm going to do.  I left that part blank until I can figure out how to fit it all in in the small space they provided.

                    Thanks, Sheena!
                    Alicia

                    The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. AOL Music takes you there.

                    Alicia,

                    How about this: Crappy writing = higher rate.  LOL  I tried to trim this message, but I couldn't get any of the old message to delete.  Sorry about that.

                    Sheena