RE: [ScopingBuddies] Is this unreasonable to ask?

  • Linda Gauthier
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 15, 2007
      No, you are not being unreasonable.

      Linda
      -----Original Message-----
      From: ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of LetsScope@...
      Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 12:54 PM
      To: ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ScopingBuddies] Is this unreasonable to ask?

      Hello group,

      I've got a question for y'all.  Back in May of '98, I started scoping.  For any CR that I've worked for over the years, they have ALWAYS plugged their attorneys into the transcript, although I would have to plug in a couple of them myself at times, which is no big deal.  In my schooling when I was learning to be a notereader-scopist, I was taught it was the reporter's responsibility get the speakers because they are the ones who are there.

      Now, I've been working for a certain CR since about 2001 and at no time in all of these years does she put her speakers in the transcript.  This makes it very difficult when I have ten attorneys and two or three sound alike.  She still isn't doing this even though I've spoken to her about it several times now, so I may start charging extra.

      Do y'all think this is unreasonable, am I asking too much?  I'm thinking this is just laziness on her part.

      Thanks,
      Susie

    • LetsScope@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 15, 2007
        Oh, Sheena, it's a mess all right.  Maybe I'm not in the mood to do this today.

        I know an excellent CR who lost her job over getting the wrong speakers in.  What had happened was one of her daughter's was hit by a car at school.  She was a young teen and was in ICU with a cut place in her liver or something and they didn't know if she would survive or not, which she thankfully did.  But the CR's mother was scoping a job for her and messed up on a speaker in colloquy.  The CR didn't catch it because she had no business working anyway with the kind of stress that she was under with her daughter in ICU, but the firm called her in and fired her on the spot.  She was such an excellent writer!  One of the best ones in my book.

        Susie

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 15, 2007
          I wouldn't give her a choice, and I wouldn't charge extra.  She should be putting them in, period.

          - DJ

          Always remember:  Today's mighty oak is simply
          yesterday's nut that held its ground . . .

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 15, 2007
            Susie,

            I meant to mention that that is what I do when she doesn't give me the
            speaker names. If I have them and know who is who, I just global them.

            Ang
          • LetsScope@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 15, 2007
              Every time that she's given me the speaker names and I global them, they have been wrong throughout.  Sometimes she'll have the right one, then have the wrong one at other times, so you can't define them.  Basically she can't keep up with it at all, so I just stopped doing that because it was always incorrect.

              I've asked as nice as I can think to and explain that she's responsible for getting her speakers, not me, but it's in one ear and out the other. I even like the lady a lot. My husband knows exactly what I'm saying on no speakers because he works her jobs too. They're just a mess.

              Years ago when I first started working for her, she told me that since she was a new reporter, her jobs wouldn't be very good until she could build her dictionary with my help.  At which time when she first called me, she said to charge her more because she knew that it would be difficult doing her work, but that no one would give her a chance, meaning a scopist, because she was new.  I have been new before, and someone gave me a chance.  I decided to take her work.  However, it has never improved very much.  As a matter of fact, it's much worse now than it ever was, so I don't know what the heck is going on there.  It looks like to me that a person would want to make improvements, and that's just the way that I feel about working.  I want to make improvements in my work.  I don't want to do trashy work.  I'm not perfect, but I keep trying to make a better transcript.  I make mistakes.

              Anyway, when I went up to $1.25 per page for videotaped depos, she let me know that it was too expensive.  I'm thinking, what?  I'm doing trash work and it's too expensive?

              That's where I stand right now.  I'm just disgusted.

              So I don't know, maybe it's time that we part ways, I guess.  I probably need to do some realtime CR work for a change.  I've done it before, worked for some darn good CRs, but one decided to quit reporting and do captioning instead, which I don't blame her.  My other CR who was realtime got ill and almost died from kidney failure, then one was so scatter-brained that I couldn't take it any longer.

              Susie

              I meant to mention that that is what I do when she doesn't give me the
              speaker names. If I have them and know who is who, I just global them.

              Ang

            • Sheena Stobaugh
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 15, 2007
                Susie,

                She should thank her lucky stars that you're willing to do it for $1.25 a page.  For crap work, I charge a lot more than that.  My crap rate starts at $1.45 and goes up from there depending on how bad it is.

                Let her scope her own work for a while, and she'll be begging you to take her on again and she'll be a lot more willing to pay your rate then, I assure you.  If doing her work, however, makes you want to poke your eyes out, then it's time to part ways for good.  It's my personal opinion that in this line of work, in order to do a good job, you have to like what you're doing.  I guess that probably applies to any line of work.

                Sheena