O/T Alicia

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 15, 2006
      Alicia,

      I'm sorry to hear about your kitchen catching on fire.  How horrible!  I hope no one was injured and that you get your life on track again soon.  My kitchen is tiny, but I'd be lost without it.

      Melody in TX

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 15, 2006
        Hi Melody.  Thank you so much for your kind note.  Yes, we are all fine.  Thank God.  It could have been so bad.  I was melting wax on my stove in a double boiler and when I lifted the lid off, it must have gotten too hot and flamed up in front of my face like a big fireball.  I tried to snuff it out with the lid, but the fire was so big that it went up around the lid and burnt my hand.  So I picked it up and proceeded to the sink where I put water on it and it just exploded.  I was lucky I didn't catch fire.  My six year old, who's Autistic, was standing there screaming and I felt so bad afterwards for him, but my other three kids consoled him while I dealt with the police and fire department.

        After I saw that the fire wasn't going out and it was rolling across my ceiling, I ran in my living room and dialed 911 and then laid the phone on the table hoping they would dispatch someone and I ran upstairs to get my other kids out of bed and got my fire extinguisher that I keep in my bedroom.  The one in the kitchen was too small for the fire.  I'm getting a big one for the kitchen from now on.  But at least I did have the one from my bedroom and I put the fire out with it and then got on the phone with 911, but I couldn't really talk.  I was a total mess.  Everyone says I reacted great, but I was shaking like a leaf, bawling my eyes out and just in shock.  It was so scary.  The last two nights I've dreamt that I caught on fire.  I think tonight I'll take a sleeping pill to see if I can sleep any better.  <sigh>

        I've been dealing with the teams coming in to clean up and all that junk and it's such a pain, like I needed this before Christmas, but at least we're all okay.  I've really got something to be thankful for this Christmas!  :)  The kitchen damage will get replaced in time.  :)

        Thanks again for your concern.  That was sweet of you to write. :)  See you on the forum!

        Alicia

        My Red Hibiscus

        My Needle Cactus

      • Melody
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 16, 2006
          Alicia,

          What a horrible situation, especially with your son.  My heart goes out to you.  I wish there was something I could do!  I'm sure your family is grateful to you for being so quick-thinking as to grab another fire extinguisher.  You prevented your whole house from going up in flames.

          What a good lesson for us all to check our kitchen fire extinguishers to make sure they're working.

          Hope your holidays get better!  I'm sending you a big ol' hug.

          Melody in TX

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 18, 2006
            In a message dated 12/16/2006 12:25:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, Melody@... writes:

            Alicia,

            What a horrible situation, especially with your son.  My heart goes out to you.  I wish there was something I could do!  I'm sure your family is grateful to you for being so quick-thinking as to grab another fire extinguisher.  You prevented your whole house from going up in flames.

            What a good lesson for us all to check our kitchen fire extinguishers to make sure they're working.

            Hope your holidays get better!  I'm sending you a big ol' hug.

            Melody in TX
            Just the support and kind words are enough!  Thank you!!!  That's very sweet of you.  The hugs are always nice too.

            Hugs back to you!  Have a wonderful holiday!