Free transfer sites for .wav files

    Message 1 of 15 , May 18, 2007
      Has anyone tried to send .wav files through the free sites and had any luck?   A reporter is trying to send them through transferbigfiles.com and it's downloading for me, but when I put it in CC, it won't open up.  It's saying that it's an unknown file.  ??  She tried another site and I didn't even get the link!  LOL  I hate to have her try any other ones because it doesn't seem like it's working.  I don't know if it's the sites or she's doing something wrong.

      See what's free at AOL.com.
    • Sara Kern
      Message 2 of 15 , May 18, 2007

        I regularly use sendthisfile.com and yousendit.com, no issues.

        Sara Kern

        skern@...

        Has anyone tried to send .wav files through the free sites and had any luck?   A reporter is trying to send them through transferbigfiles. com and it's downloading for me, but when I put it in CC, it won't open up.  It's saying that it's an unknown file.  ??  She tried another site and I didn't even get the link!  LOL  I hate to have her try any other ones because it doesn't seem like it's working.  I don't know if it's the sites or she's doing something wrong.

        See what's free at AOL.com.

      • Sheena Stobaugh
        Message 3 of 15 , May 18, 2007
          Alicia,

          If the file isn't uploading fully, you would have an error message like that.  Compare your downloaded file size to the file size she shows on her end and see if you can determine whether that may be the problem.

          I use sendthisfile.com and love it.

          Sheena
          Message 4 of 15 , May 18, 2007
            Glad to know that two people are using sendthisfile and love it.  I told her to use that one, but she used transferbigfiles.com instead.  Whatever.  I just want it to work.  Like I was telling Linda, I was putting it in CC4 instead of CC3, so I'm hoping that was the problem.  I'm going to go put it in CC3 and see if it works this time.  :)

            Thanks for your help, Sheena!

            Alicia S. Contic - Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal
            724.832.7655 (home)
            724.516.9439 (cell)

            See what's free at AOL.com.
          • Vanessa
            Message 5 of 15 , May 18, 2007
              Just to put my two cents in.  My reporters zip the wav files and they work.  Sometimes when they haven't I've had problems.  You might have them try that before they upload the audio.  Just a suggestion.  If it works, then great!

              Vanessa

              And I use sendthisfile.com also.

            • GiNa4XoXoXo@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , May 18, 2007
                In a message dated 5/18/2007 4:12:39 P.M. Central Daylight Time, skern@... writes:
                It's saying that it's an unknown file.  ??  She tried another site and I didn't even get the link!  LOL  I hate to have her try any other ones because it doesn't seem like it's working.  I don't know if it's the sites or she's doing something wrong.
                You sure it's a .wav extension and not a .dss file?  If it's not, then it won't open right in Case.  Has to be a .wav file.
                Let me know if you need any further help with this.

                I use www.sendthisfile.com often and it works fine.

                Help Feed an Animal in Need for FREE!!
                PLEASE CLICK HERE DAILY!!

                See what's free at AOL.com.
              • Gail Abshire
                Message 7 of 15 , May 19, 2007
                  Hi, Alicia,

                  Just a couple more sites for you (not certain if they are free) for
                  uploading audio: whalemail.com and magicvortex.com

                  Both have worked well for a couple of my reporters.

                  When a reporter sends the CC file to me, they usually do so as an e-
                  mail attachment. When they send the audio, they usually send through
                  one of the two sites I listed above, and I save it to my WAVPedal
                  program.

                  Gail
                • Sheena Stobaugh
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 19, 2007
                    Gail,

                    What program do you use with your pedal?

                    Sheena
                  • Gail Abshire
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 19, 2007
                      Sheena, the software is called WAVpedal 5. I ordered it many moons ago
                      from The Programmers' Consortium at 1-800-841-6121. I think the site
                      is voicewaresales@.... The pedal came with the
                      software. Can't remember how much I paid for it, but I really love it.

                      Gail
                    • Gail Abshire
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 19, 2007
                        Sheena, I see part of that address didn't post. Anyway, after the @,
                        it should be: theprogrammers.com.

                        Gail
                      • maryscopes@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 19, 2007
                          I used WAVPedal three years ago myself.  It costs $190, I think.  I had a problem with a virus attack on my computer, and it messed up my WAVPedal software.  I tried to reload my disk, and it didn't work right.  I called tech support and got no help from them.  I was shocked because I loved my WAVPedal software at that time.
                          It seems they had updated the program, but didn't notify any customers about it.
                          I got the updated program, but it still didn't work for me.  Of course, this happened when I had work to do, and I lost a customer because of it.  The tech support stopped taking my calls after a day or two.  They would just leave me hanging and nobody would answer.  I never could find out what happened with that company.

                          My friend told me about Transcription Gear, and I called them and asked questions, which were answered by Tech Support.  So I again spent what I consider a rather large amount for a disk and a foot pedal.  I have been using the Gearplayer ever since with no problems and always prompt tech support help.  They will even help me if I can't play a particular file.

                          I can also honestly say that ExpressScribe is good, too, although I could never get it to work before my friend helped me with it.  Now, it works, and it has a couple of features that Gear Player doesn't have, but since it's free, it's a good deal.

                          I cannot recommend WAVPedal to anyone now since I had such a lousy experience with them in the end.

                          See what's free at AOL.com.
                        • Sheena Stobaugh
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 19, 2007
                            Mary,

                            Thanks for that information.  I have a pedal that one of my reporters loaned me that goes with FTR Gold software and works with ExpressScribe.  The only problem is it seems to have a lag time between when I depress the pedal and when the audio starts.  Frustrating.  Could be my computer, I guess.  It's definitely time for an upgrade in speed.  I think I've had this computer since 2000 or 2001.

                            Does anyone else use a wav pedal program that they can recommend?

                            Sheena
                          • maryscopes@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 19, 2007
                              If you are playing .dss files, there is a little lag time with other pedal programs besides ExpressScribe I have found.  Also, your foot pedal may be going.  www.transcriptiongear.com sells the foot pedals with any kind of connection you want, even for transcribers, too.  If you are buying, definitely check their Web site before you buy.

                              See what's free at AOL.com.
                            • Ruthsscoping@cs.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 21, 2007
                                Hi Alicia.  I've had good luck with SendThisFile.com.  You can sign up to send a certain amount free.  It's quite a bit.  I've had it for a while and haven't had to get to the point where I've had to pay for it.  I've also had luck with WhaleMail.com.

                                Good luck with it!

                                Ruth
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 21, 2007
                                  Thanks to everybody offering their opinions on the various .wav file transfer sites.  It's been very useful!

                                  Alicia - Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

                                  "I love my son with Autism!"
                                  Click here: Autism Society of America: Autism Society of America Home Page

                                  ScopingBuddies Group!

                                  Click here: ScopingBuddies : Scopist, scoping, scope, proofing

                                  Gardenweb
                                  - I love to garden and T2T!
                                  Click here: GardenWeb - The Internet's Garden Community

                                  freecycle.org
                                  - I enjoy giving to those in need.
                                  Click here: Freecycleâ„¢: Changing the World One Gift at a Time

                                  See what's free at AOL.com.