Stumped on possible legal/latin term

  • lstbailey
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 12, 2010
      The witness' atty has instructed the witness not to answer a question. The questioning atty asks why and the witness' atty says, "I don't have to explain *uhsafa*(spelled phonetically)." There's no steno, just the phonetic spelling from audio.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks!
      Laura
    • Pattie Walker
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 13, 2010
        Hi, Laura,

        This is just a shot in the dark.  Could he be making a funny and nobody caught it?  Could he be saying "ocifer" (??) instead of "officer"?  Kind of looks that way to me from your phonetic spelling.

        I am probably way off the mark, but I thought I'd throw it out there for you.

        Sincerely,

        Pattie Walker

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 13, 2010
          Thanks for the suggestion, Pattie. At this point, all shots in the dark are appreciated. : )

          I did go back and listen with that in mind, but I don't think that's it. It sounds like the accent is more on the 2nd syllable than the first. At first, I thought he was saying "myself" but then I kept hearing a definite "afa" at the end of it. It may be one of those unsolved mysteries.

          Thanks again,
          Laura

          --- In ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com, "Pattie Walker" <pwalker18@...> wrote:
          Could he be making a funny and nobody caught it? Could he be saying "ocifer" (??) instead of "officer"? Kind of looks that way to me from your phonetic spelling.
        • smirffn
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 13, 2010
            Out of curiosity, what is the question, and what is the objection. If you could post the entire debated text, might help.

            -Charlotte

            --- In ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com, "lstbailey" <lstbailey@...> wrote:

            > The witness' atty has instructed the witness not to answer a question. The questioning atty asks why and the witness' atty says, "I don't have to explain *uhsafa*(spelled phonetically)." There's no steno, just the phonetic spelling from audio.
            >
            > Any ideas?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Laura

          • lstbailey
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 14, 2010
              The question immediately before was asking if the wit had ever represented that she owned stock in a particular company.

              Her atty didn't state an objection, just instructed her not to answer. The questioning atty asked why. He kind of dropped his voice as he responded and someone rustled papers at about that same moment making it more difficult to hear it clearly. My first thought was that he said "myself" but I listened again and heard "afa" at the end of it.

              I marked it and asked my reporter. The reporter thinks he may have said "myself" and then started to say "but" or "uh" or something else which made it sound strange.

              At any rate, thanks for responding. : )