RE: [ScopingBuddies] Re: Transcription charge

  • Anita Armas
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 7, 2010

      I was just catching up on my emails...I have to agree with Alicia, the rates do seem to vary quite a bit.  Donnette, you stated your base rates are $225/audio hour or $4.20 per page, are you AAERT certified?  I guess what I am asking is what experience or background do you have that qualifies you to charge those rates?  I hope my question is not coming across in a wrong way.  I am truly curious, I have been doing transcription now for over a year and have finally begun to get more legal transcription work and the most I’ve charged per page on a 25 line per page transcript is $2.00 based on my experience.  I am hoping to become AAERT certified this year which will also allow me to bump up my pricing.  Again, I am aware that rates vary but I just want to know why.

      Thanks,

      Anita D. Armas

      SEASONED TRANSCRIPTION

      Ph (626) 780-6409

      www.seasonedtranscription.com

          Thank you, Alicia, unfortunately, I am swamped right now.  However, if a similar situation presents itself, please do feel free to provide them my information.  BTW, I don’t know recall if you mentioned you used to do transcription, but do you enjoy/prefer scoping more?  Other than the obvious, what makes scoping more appealing than transcription, if you don’t mind me asking.

          Anita

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 8, 2010
            No, I am not AAERT certified. My per AH work is mainly corporate. Almost all my per page work is from court reporters. They set the rates (they usually pay 60-65% of their per page rate - depending on the CR firm).

            I used to scope and stayed very busy, but I'm not a note reader, so I could only scope to sound. I think that's how I got my foot in the door with so many CR firms. I could only scope approx. 25/pgs per hour and was making approx. $1/page. Many, many referrals for "tapes" from CRs I was scoping for.

            I "scope" my own transcription or that my subs do against audio. I use that as one of the benefits I offer (which helps justify my rates).

            Donnette

            --- In ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com, "Anita Armas" <aarmas1@...> wrote:

            > I was just catching up on my emails...I have to agree with Alicia, the rates
            > do seem to vary quite a bit. Donnette, you stated your base rates are
            > $225/audio hour or $4.20 per page, are you AAERT certified? I guess what I
            > am asking is what experience or background do you have that qualifies you to
            > charge those rates? I hope my question is not coming across in a wrong way.
            > I am truly curious, I have been doing transcription now for over a year and
            > have finally begun to get more legal transcription work and the most I've
            > charged per page on a 25 line per page transcript is $2.00 based on my
            > experience. I am hoping to become AAERT certified this year which will also
            > allow me to bump up my pricing. Again, I am aware that rates vary but I
            > just want to know why.
            >

            > Thanks,
            >
            > Anita D. Armas
            >
            > SEASONED TRANSCRIPTION
            >
            > Ph (626) 780-6409
            >
            > <http://www.seasonedtranscription.com> www.seasonedtranscription.com
            >
            > _____

          • EVELYN HOOPER
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 8, 2010

              Is anybody on StenoCat 32 that would like some work?  I currently have 1812 pages on my desk, I'm expecting another 400 to come in today and most of it is due this weekend.  I need somebody that knows what they are doing because I won't have time to fix it if it comes back to me a disaster.  If you are interested, please send me a short email (too busy to read life stories, LOL), experience, rates, that kind of stuff.  The one I am thinking of sending out would be full audio, so please include that rate.  This could lead to more work from me in the future as this is my usual kind of workload, but my kids got me sick and I called it quits early last night.

              Evelyn Hooper
                 www.emhscoping.com

            • Shirl4116@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 8, 2010

              • Sally Weeks
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 8, 2010

                  Sorry, not on StenoCat 32.  If I remember correctly, I think I had talked to a reporter a couple years ago that desperately needed help and I tried to put it in Eclipse and CaseCAT.  It didn’t work but then that reporter didn’t know if she could send it to me in RTF.  Can you do RTF on StenoCat?  If so, that can be put into another CAT system.

                   Error! Filename not specified.  www.emhscoping.com