Re: Transcription charge

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
      Anyone have a rate they charge for transcription???  I've got a 15-minute recording and a 40-minute recording?

      Alicia Contic
      Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal
      Case CATalyst4

    • Linda Gauthier
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010

        Alicia,

        I wouldn’t go near it.

        Hugs,

        Linda

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010

          I think the average transcription rate is $3.00 a page.

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010

            When I did transcription (ugh!) I charged per audio minute.  I think eight years ago or so I was charging $2.00 an audio minute, if that helps you any....

            Evelyn Hooper
               www.emhscoping.com

            To: ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com
            From: sallyweeks@...
            Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 19:56:54 -0500
            Subject: RE: [ScopingBuddies] Re: Transcription charge

            I think the average transcription rate is $3.00 a page.

            Anyone have a rate they charge for transcription? ??  I've got a 15-minute recording and a 40-minute recording?

            Alicia Contic
            Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal
            Case CATalyst4

            ScopingBuddies Yahoo group - Moderator http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ScopingBud dies/

          • Faye Bryant
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
              http://www.gmrtranscription.com/prices.aspx
              Faye Bryant
              Author, Blogger, Scopist
              Townsend, Tennessee
              www.scopist4hire.com
              www.fayebryant.com

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 7, 2010
                My base rates are $225/audio hour or $4.20/page (for court reporters or anyone who wants 25 lines/pg, New Courier font). I surcharge for rush (except really good clients). Don't surcharge for bad audio or multiple speakers like I should.

                Hope that helps.

                Donnette

                --- In ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com, afinalword@... wrote:

                > Anyone have a rate they charge for transcription??? I've got a 15-minute
                > recording and a 40-minute recording?
                >
                > Alicia Contic
                > Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal
                > Case CATalyst4
                > d/b/a The Final Word
                > 724.832.0800 (business/fax)
                > 724.832.7655 (home)
                > 724.961.5902 (cell)
                > ScopingBuddies Yahoo group - Moderator
                > _http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScopingBuddies/_ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScopingBuddies/)

              • Alicia
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 7, 2010
                  Thanks, Donnette. Seems to vary a little with rates. I'm not that familiar with the transcription end of things. Although I do remember a long time ago working on a job a local CR sent my way, and I hated it. I undercharged, and it took FOREVER to do. I even had another scopist helping me out on it. Live and learn. :)

                  Thanks again,
                  Alicia
                  --- In ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com, "None" <donnette@...> wrote:

                  > My base rates are $225/audio hour or $4.20/page (for court reporters or anyone who wants 25 lines/pg, New Courier font). I surcharge for rush (except really good clients). Don't surcharge for bad audio or multiple speakers like I should.
                  >
                  > Hope that helps.
                  >
                  > Donnette
                  >
                  > --- In ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com, afinalword@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Anyone have a rate they charge for transcription??? I've got a 15-minute
                  > > recording and a 40-minute recording?
                  > >
                  > > Alicia Contic
                  > > Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal
                  > > Case CATalyst4
                  > > d/b/a The Final Word
                  > > 724.832.0800 (business/fax)
                  > > 724.832.7655 (home)
                  > > 724.961.5902 (cell)
                  > > ScopingBuddies Yahoo group - Moderator
                  > > _http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScopingBuddies/_ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScopingBuddies/)

                • Anita Armas
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 7, 2010

                    I was just catching up on my emails...I have to agree with Alicia, the rates do seem to vary quite a bit.  Donnette, you stated your base rates are $225/audio hour or $4.20 per page, are you AAERT certified?  I guess what I am asking is what experience or background do you have that qualifies you to charge those rates?  I hope my question is not coming across in a wrong way.  I am truly curious, I have been doing transcription now for over a year and have finally begun to get more legal transcription work and the most I’ve charged per page on a 25 line per page transcript is $2.00 based on my experience.  I am hoping to become AAERT certified this year which will also allow me to bump up my pricing.  Again, I am aware that rates vary but I just want to know why.

                    Thanks,

                    Anita D. Armas

                    SEASONED TRANSCRIPTION

                    Ph (626) 780-6409

                    www.seasonedtranscription.com

                    Thanks, Donnette. Seems to vary a little with rates. I'm not that familiar with the transcription end of things. Although I do remember a long time ago working on a job a local CR sent my way, and I hated it. I undercharged, and it took FOREVER to do. I even had another scopist helping me out on it. Live and learn. :)

                    Thanks again,
                    Alicia
                    --- In ScopingBuddies@ yahoogroups. com, "None" <donnette@.. .> wrote:

                    > My base rates are $225/audio hour or $4.20/page (for court reporters or
                    anyone who wants 25 lines/pg, New Courier font). I surcharge for rush (except really good clients). Don't surcharge for bad audio or multiple speakers like I should.

                    > Hope that helps.
                    >
                    > Donnette
                    >
                    > --- In ScopingBuddies@ yahoogroups. com,
                    afinalword@ wrote:

                    > > Anyone have a rate they charge for transcription? ?? I've got a
                    15-minute
                    > > recording and a 40-minute recording?
                    > >
                    > > Alicia Contic
                    > > Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal
                    > > Case CATalyst4
                    > > d/b/a The Final Word
                    > > 724.832.0800 (business/fax)
                    > > 724.832.7655 (home)
                    > > 724.961.5902 (cell)
                    > > ScopingBuddies Yahoo group - Moderator
                    > > _http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ScopingBud dies/_
                    (http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ScopingBud dies/)

                        Thank you, Alicia, unfortunately, I am swamped right now.  However, if a similar situation presents itself, please do feel free to provide them my information.  BTW, I don’t know recall if you mentioned you used to do transcription, but do you enjoy/prefer scoping more?  Other than the obvious, what makes scoping more appealing than transcription, if you don’t mind me asking.

                        Anita

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 8, 2010
                          No, I am not AAERT certified. My per AH work is mainly corporate. Almost all my per page work is from court reporters. They set the rates (they usually pay 60-65% of their per page rate - depending on the CR firm).

                          I used to scope and stayed very busy, but I'm not a note reader, so I could only scope to sound. I think that's how I got my foot in the door with so many CR firms. I could only scope approx. 25/pgs per hour and was making approx. $1/page. Many, many referrals for "tapes" from CRs I was scoping for.

                          I "scope" my own transcription or that my subs do against audio. I use that as one of the benefits I offer (which helps justify my rates).

                          Donnette

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 8, 2010

                            Is anybody on StenoCat 32 that would like some work?  I currently have 1812 pages on my desk, I'm expecting another 400 to come in today and most of it is due this weekend.  I need somebody that knows what they are doing because I won't have time to fix it if it comes back to me a disaster.  If you are interested, please send me a short email (too busy to read life stories, LOL), experience, rates, that kind of stuff.  The one I am thinking of sending out would be full audio, so please include that rate.  This could lead to more work from me in the future as this is my usual kind of workload, but my kids got me sick and I called it quits early last night.

                            Evelyn Hooper
                               www.emhscoping.com

                          • Shirl4116@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 8, 2010

                            • Sally Weeks
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 8, 2010

                                Sorry, not on StenoCat 32.  If I remember correctly, I think I had talked to a reporter a couple years ago that desperately needed help and I tried to put it in Eclipse and CaseCAT.  It didn’t work but then that reporter didn’t know if she could send it to me in RTF.  Can you do RTF on StenoCat?  If so, that can be put into another CAT system.

                                 Error! Filename not specified.  www.emhscoping.com