Reminder to all!

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009
      Don't forget there's a database and links section.  Check it out.  Maybe there's something there that will assist you in the future.  :)

      Alicia Contic
      Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

      ScopingBuddies Yahoo group - Moderator
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScopingBuddies/
    • scopist247
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009
        Thank you for pointing that out, Alicia.

        I'd like to ask all members to please check all your resources before posting a question. Everyone's time is so precious; please keep that in mind. While none of us mind answering a question when the questioner has truly looked for the answer and can't find one or isn't clear on the information they have found, it's annoying to me to read a question from someone who has clearly not even checked for the answer. They post to a group or groups, expecting someone else to do the work for them.

        I've seen several posts asking about whether there is a rule in Morson's. Well, you should have Morson's if you're a scopist. Get it. It's about $40. Don't expect another scopist to pay the $40 so you can ask 10,000 questions about what rules are there and take up that person's time. In addition to Morson's, there are a lot of grammar sites out there. Google them. Look in the Links section; there are a few there. If you don't know these rules, you need to be learning them. It's part of a scopist's job. Frankly, I'm a little curious to see some of these scoping courses, as it seems they are sorely underpreparing people for this line of work.

        You will become a much better scopist when you take the time to read and learn grammar and punctuation rules rather than asking for help from others. The same goes with research. If I'm unfamiliar with a particular term, I search for it on the Internet. Even if I don't know how it's spelled, I Google it every which way but loose until I find it. Now, I could post on one of the message boards and get the answer, but I definitely wouldn't learn all the things I learn when I start to read about the term I'm researching. Also, I've encroached on someone else's time. It's lazy. I only post a question if I've exhausted EVERY avenue of research I have at my disposal.

        I'm not trying to be a hard-nose; just trying to force some to take a step back and examine their actions and perhaps help themselves for a change. I take the same approach in my day-to-day life. If my kids ask me a question that I think they can figure out on their own, I ask them a question that forces them to discover the answer on their own. It lets them know they need to think for themselves and not depend on others for answers they can easily figure out for themselves.

        So instead of posting the immediate answer to someone's question, why not lead them in the direction they need to go in order to find the answer so that they learn a little something about research? "Does Morson's have a rule about XYZ?" "Yes. Check out Rule 237." Morson's sometimes is a little tricky for me to find where certain information is categorized, so someone may need some help locating a particular rule, but I don't feel anyone needs to take the time to explain a rule or, God forbid, take the time to type the rule out for someone who hasn't purchased a copy of the book. Force people to become better scopists, and maybe the bar will be raised a little higher in our industry so that we hear less about how all scopists are terrible.

        That's my rant for the day. Have a fabulous day, everyone! :o)

        Sheena
      • Karen A. Jones
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009
          Good rant, Sheena! <g>

          I'd like to add something. It's not specific to this group but forums in general.

          Please watch what you say, whether it's a punctuation question or requesting info re a reporter lead. Reporters do have access to the public forums and, believe you me, they are reading them and tucking negative comments away for future reference. (And I can't say that I blame them!)

          If someone has what they consider to be a dumb question, e-mail a veteran scopist you know and ask them. It's free too.

          Karen

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009
            Well put, Sheena.  I do think people take advantage of others in the sense of just asking a question right off the bat without doing research.  Of course, I would hope that scopists would exhaust all other avenues before posting tons of questions.  I thought that goes without being said, but I suppose I should have stated that.  :)  You learn more by doing the research yourself.  That's also why I put the links section, to try to assist everyone is research.  Sometimes there are questions, though, that we can't find an answer on, and that's where I think the help of others here helps.

            There are other questions that certainly don't fall into the category of that which I was also thinking of in terms of asking questions.  For example, reporters not paying a scopist, questions pertaining to taking vacation, maternity leave, rates, etc.  There's a multitude of questions out there related to the scoping field!

            Alicia Contic
            Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

            ScopingBuddies Yahoo group - Moderator
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScopingBuddies/
          • Sheena Stobaugh - Premier Scoping Service
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009
              Alicia,

              Absolutely, and those are the kinds of questions I like to see posted.  It helps tremendously in our line of work, being so remote, to talk with others about how to go about handling certain situations.  I'd much rather be involved in a lively discussion about how to handle situations like that than read tons of questions about how to punctuate something that's already been addressed in a well-known book.

              You did a good job on the Links section, by the way.  I'll be checking it frequently to see what others have added.

              Oops, got to go.  Baby's awake from her nap.

              Sheena
            • Sally
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009

                AMEN!!!

              • Judy Rakocinski
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009

                  >>Frankly, I'm a little curious to see some of these scoping courses, as it seems they are sorely underpreparing people for this line of work.
                  Those who take our course are fully prepared and do have Morson's.  We would surely hope they'd look something up for themselves before asking on a forum.  We've taught them how to fish for life rather than just giving them a fish for a day <wink>.
                  Judy

                  Stationery ©Stationery Heaven
                • Sheena Stobaugh - Premier Scoping Service
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009
                    Judy,

                    That's good.  I'm glad to hear it.  I'm worried that a lot of people aren't receiving training at all.  You wouldn't believe how many e-mails I get per week asking me if training is necessary.

                    Sheena
                  • Judy Rakocinski
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009
                      Oh, I hear ya.  Too many people think this is a job that anyone can just pick up with little or no training at all.  Very scary.
                      Judy

                    • XoGinaXo
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009
                        you took the words right out of my mouth!
                        and another thing.  i don't know about others, but i have read morson's and gregg's back and forth at LEAST five times!
                        i used to read it every night before i went to sleep.  and then after a couple of months, i would go back and read it again
                        to refresh myself.

                        gina :O)

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009
                          >>i used to read it every night before i went to sleep.

                          Oh, you mean you can't just put it under your pillow and learn by osmosis? ROFLMBO!!!
                          Judy

                        • Faye Bryant
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009
                            When I worked as a support tech for a chain of convenience stores, I learned the benefit of keeping those materials that even though I would "know" I might not know close at hand. My desk is set up with Morson's and other reference material within arm's reach -- I don't really have to even look to grab it!

                            Faye
                            Faye Bryant
                            Author, Blogger, Scopist
                            Townsend, Tennessee
                            www.scopist4hire.com
                            www.fayebryant.com

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009
                              i tried that also :O)

                              gina :O)

                              >>i used to read it every night before i went to sleep.

                              Oh, you mean you can't just put it under your pillow and learn by osmosis? ROFLMBO!!!
                              Judy

                            • Cheri Allan
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 29, 2009
                                I am a graduate of BeST.  Their course absolutely does prepare anyone that goes through it.  Morson's is part of the curriculum.  They also send One Word, Two Words after graduation.  Now, what people do with those books is up to them.

                                ~ Cheri ~

                                >>Frankly, I'm a little curious to see some of these scoping courses, as it seems they are sorely underpreparing people for this line of work.
                                Those who take our course are fully prepared and do have Morson's.  We would surely hope they'd look something up for themselves before asking on a forum.  We've taught them how to fish for life rather than just giving them a fish for a day <wink>.
                                Judy

                                Stationery ©Stationery Heaven

                              • sharonk908
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 29, 2009
                                  I used to office with four girls. Multiple times a day one girl in particular would shout out, "How do you spell (any word will do)." All three of us would have to turn off our audio and be disrupted. I just start answering that I could LOOK IT UP IN THE DICTIONARY. At first this was annoying. After a while it was just plain rude. I am with you 1000000000000000000000 percent on this! Thanks for saying what so many think but wouldn't say!