Capping County -- or not

  • jolene582001
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
      Is there a rule in Morson's that addresses capping the word "county" when it's used with the actual name of a county; i.e., Wilkerson county?

      Thanks!

      Carol
    • Cheri Allan
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
        Morson's Rule 247:  Capitalize geographical names for specific cities, counties, states, countries, land masses, mountains, and bodies of water.

        ~ Cheri ~

        Is there a rule in Morson's that addresses capping the word "county" when it's used with the actual name of a county; i.e., Wilkerson county?

        Thanks!

        Carol

      • scopingforyou
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2009
          Yes, you do cap. It becomes one proper noun. All words in a proper noun are capped.

          --- In ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com, "jolene582001" <jolene582001@...> wrote:

          > Is there a rule in Morson's that addresses capping the word "county" when it's used with the actual name of a county; i.e., Wilkerson county?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Carol

        • Sharon Kendall
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 27, 2009
            I don't know about the rule, but it's part of the name.  Yes, definitely it must be capped.