Re: numbers

  • smirffn
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2009
      Thank you! The Morson's thing clears up the dollars and cents without
      dollars and cents symbols. That kind of was my gut on that one, but it
      helps so much to have an authority to go back to!

      I know my CR wasn't entirely sure how to do these either. On each one
      she has one of her 'note to self' strokes in the transcript to refer
      back (which I left in so she can have the final decision).

      Here's one idea I came up with that I wanted to bounce off of everyone
      though. One of my other CRs has started to do something similar, and I
      wonder if the adaptation might work in this situation. When he says
      three thrity-seven, five, what do you think of this: 337,5-

      That way I'm only inserting what was said but putting it in a format
      that's a little more readable (and maybe a little more consistent).
      Input? Thanks!
    • Pattie Walker
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 12, 2009
        I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring and give my opinion on numbers such as what you're talking about.

        I had this same issue come up last week in a transcript I was scoping.  The attorney kept saying 337,5 (using your example).  I couldn't figure out how to place that number into the transcript because placing 337,5 in the transcript just didn't look right to me.

        I relied on another forum I belong to to help me out on this issue.  As luck would have it, I got my answer on how to place the number into the transcript by the obvious person on all authoritative matters (I don't need to mention any names.  You know who I'm talking about) and I took that sage advice and ran with it because it looked the best.

        Whenever the attorney and/or witness says 337,5, you always write out the number as such, three thirty-seven five.  That is what was said, and that's the way it should be written in the transcript.

        That's just my two cents on the subject.

        Hope this helps.

        Sincerely,

        Pattie Walker

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2009
          I always use the suspended hyphen to indicate missing digits; however, if someone says:  "It happened in 2000" and actually doesn't quite get the words out as far as 2000 and what year, I write out the words "two thousand"  so there is no confusion.

          Make sense?

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2009
            ditto ditto

            gina ツ