Re: [ScopingBuddies] numbers

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2009
      Being that I just went through this and wasn't sure how I should do it, I finally just asked the CR what she wanted.  She told me to do six-five instead of 6.5 when talking about 6.5 million.  Now, when they later said 6 point 5 million, I wrote it as 6.5 million.  She was afraid the attys would wonder why it was done two different ways, but she said she'll just tell them it was done verbatim.  Can't argue that.  Maybe the attys will be more consistent when talking about numbers in the future!  Yeah, right.  One can only hope......  :)

      Those are tough numbers you have.  When in doubt, ask your CR.  You can't go wrong with how you do it then.  :)  Sorry that I don't have a great answer for you.

      Good luck with that!

      Alicia Contic
      Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

      ScopingBuddies Yahoo group - Moderator
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScopingBuddies/
    • smirffn
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 12, 2009
        Thank you! The Morson's thing clears up the dollars and cents without
        dollars and cents symbols. That kind of was my gut on that one, but it
        helps so much to have an authority to go back to!

        I know my CR wasn't entirely sure how to do these either. On each one
        she has one of her 'note to self' strokes in the transcript to refer
        back (which I left in so she can have the final decision).

        Here's one idea I came up with that I wanted to bounce off of everyone
        though. One of my other CRs has started to do something similar, and I
        wonder if the adaptation might work in this situation. When he says
        three thrity-seven, five, what do you think of this: 337,5-

        That way I'm only inserting what was said but putting it in a format
        that's a little more readable (and maybe a little more consistent).
        Input? Thanks!
      • Pattie Walker
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 12, 2009
          I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring and give my opinion on numbers such as what you're talking about.

          I had this same issue come up last week in a transcript I was scoping.  The attorney kept saying 337,5 (using your example).  I couldn't figure out how to place that number into the transcript because placing 337,5 in the transcript just didn't look right to me.

          I relied on another forum I belong to to help me out on this issue.  As luck would have it, I got my answer on how to place the number into the transcript by the obvious person on all authoritative matters (I don't need to mention any names.  You know who I'm talking about) and I took that sage advice and ran with it because it looked the best.

          Whenever the attorney and/or witness says 337,5, you always write out the number as such, three thirty-seven five.  That is what was said, and that's the way it should be written in the transcript.

          That's just my two cents on the subject.

          Hope this helps.

          Sincerely,

          Pattie Walker

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2009
            I always use the suspended hyphen to indicate missing digits; however, if someone says:  "It happened in 2000" and actually doesn't quite get the words out as far as 2000 and what year, I write out the words "two thousand"  so there is no confusion.

            Make sense?

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 13, 2009
              ditto ditto

              gina ツ