Question

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 10, 2009
      They're talking about the sale of a property.  He's saying it should sell for one-five, one-six.  She has 1, 5, 1, 6 and that's not gonna fly.  Should I do it as one-five, one-six?  Nothing else that I do looks right to me.  Then the atty says it again:  "So you think it's worth 1, 5 or 1, 6?"

      Thanks!

      Alicia Contic
      Legal Scopist, Proofreader, Paralegal

      ScopingBuddies Yahoo group - Moderator
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScopingBuddies/
    • gina ツ
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 10, 2009
        one-five, one-six, etc.

        gina ツ

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 10, 2009
          I would use 1.5 and 1.6.  I think words is too confusing there myself, especially since there is no other explanation, like million or dollars.
        • afinalword2000
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 10, 2009
            --- In ScopingBuddies@yahoogroups.com, maryscopes@... wrote:

            > I would use 1.5 and 1.6. I think words is too confusing there myself,
            > especially since there is no other explanation, like million or dollars.

            It does look better as 1.5, 1.6, but to read it back, I would read it as one point five, one point six. So I thought writing it as one-five, one-six is exactly how he said it. But I'll put it as 1.5, 1.6 because it looks better. Then I'll flag it for her in case she wants to change it to one-five, etc. The words do look confusing. I was just trying to write it just like he said it, I guess. :) I hate number talk! :)

            Thanks, Mary.

            Alicia
          • gina ツ
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 10, 2009
              then what would you do for three thousand six hundred if they said three-six?  would you put 3.6?  i wouldn't.
              jmo.

              gina ツ

              > I would use 1.5 and 1.6. I think words is too confusing there myself,
              > especially since there is no other explanation, like million or dollars.

              It does look better as 1.5, 1.6, but to read it back, I would read it as one point five, one point six. So I thought writing it as one-five, one-six is exactly how he said it. But I'll put it as 1.5, 1.6 because it looks better. Then I'll flag it for her in case she wants to change it to one-five, etc. The words do look con fusing. I was just trying to write it just like he said it, I guess. :) I hate number talk! :)

              Thanks, Mary.

              Alicia

            • Sheena Stobaugh - Premier Scoping Service
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 10, 2009

                I have to agree with Gina.  I just proofed a job a few days ago and changed "one, three" to "one-three" when they were speaking of the number they had their home listed for.  You could do 1.3, but I wouldn't unless the reporter specifically requested it that way.

                I think the transcript should read as it was said, but also be readable.  "One-three" is readable and indicates verbatim how the speaker said it.  "1.3" would indicate that the speaker said "one point three."

                Sheena

              • gina ツ
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 10, 2009
                  And adding to that, if you put 1.3 meaning one-three and there's no other context, how do you know they don't mean 1.3 million?  What if they meant 1,300.00?  I would never think 1.3 meant one thousand three hundred.  The ONLY time I might do the 1.3 is if they meant 1.3 million, never in any other instance.
                  again, just my opinion. :O)

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 10, 2009
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 10, 2009
                      Thanks for your help, Gina.  I'll just have to write her.  I actually left it as one-five, which I originally had.  I changed it to 1.5 after the posts, then I went back to one-five.  Instead of driving myself nuts, I'll just see what she wants.  :)

                    • maryscopes@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 10, 2009
                        I know in financial cases from NY they tend to say one five without anything else.  They assume everybody knows they mean million.
                      • maryscopes@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 10, 2009
                          I wouldn't either.  I would put 3,600 just like you wrote it.
                        • gina ツ
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 10, 2009
                            welcome :O)

                            gina ツ

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 11, 2009
                              I think it's assumed when they say one-five that they are saying 1.5 million.  You would never say 1.5 to mean 1.5 thousand.  I think in that case it's assumption in the financial world that they're talking million.

                              that being said, I myself would prefer it to be one-five because it is verbatim.  But i don't think 1.5 is wrong either.

                              Betsee