Tanya Huff book

  • La Tricia Ransom
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2002
      anybody here read "the better part of valor"? it's military scifi,
      which i really like. i really enjoyed it. huff drew me in by page one
      (meanwhile i'm sufferin thru "correction" a (nonsci) pulitzer
      nominee) and i couldn't put it down. one thing i found really
      fascinating (cuz i like language/linguitics-oriented s.f.) is one of
      the aliens she created communicated by scent/odor. no verbalizing, no
      body language, no other sound-making. all scent. the humans knew when
      these insectoid beasties where around when they got a whiff of
      cinamon, e.g. another insectoid race had verbal abilities. anybody
      read any of huff's other stuff? i saw on a bookstore's shelf that
      she's done a lot of fantasy stuff, too.
      --
    • Kaiju66
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003

        I've read her Blood series and recommended them.

        Do you like David Weber's Honor Harrington series? It sounds like it
        might be something you'd like.