The 31 Days of Hallowe'en - Great New Orleans Ghost Stories and Hauntings

  • brent wodehouse
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2011
      http://goneworleans.about.com/od/ghostsandhauntings/a/new-orleans-ghost-stories.htm

      New Orleans is a Haunted City

      There are many hauntings in New Orleans. In fact, we don't add the "para"
      to normal activity when we talk about them. For us, it's closer to normal
      to have a ghost or two in you house. Our house is typical of much of the
      New Orleans housing stock and was bulit in the 1870s. We have a female
      ghost. My husband calls her "Carney". She likes to move things around on
      the mantles and scare the cats by walking down the stairs late at night,
      but otherwise she's pretty quiet. As ghosts go, she's not very scary, and
      it probably typical of most ghosts in New Orleans. As such, she won't get
      a story written about her. Carney is haunting a house in a one of the most
      haunted ciites in the country. So, she probably won't become famous
      outside of our friends and family.

      Ghosts like Carney don't get a lot of press. But, others in New Orleans
      do. Friar Antonio de Sedella came to New Orleans around 1774 with the
      Spanish Inquisition in Louisiana. Never an enthusiastic inquisitor, over
      the course of a few years, Father Sedella became the beloved Pere Antoine,
      the pastor of the (then) St. Louis Church. The alley along side the St.
      Louis Cathedral is named for him, it's Pere Antoine Alley. He's still
      around the St. Louis Cathedral, which is not a bad place to haunt. The
      Cathedral is just off Jackson Square and is really at the heart of the New
      Orleans French Quarter. [
      http://goneworleans.about.com/od/famouslandmarks/a/hauntedno.htm ]Here's
      his story.

      Then there's Prince Suleyman, a Turk who claimed to be the sultan, or
      former sultan, of a mid-eastern country. Apparently, the Sultan had made
      some violent enemies before his sojourn to New Orleans and they paid him
      and his harem a deadly visit. Although dead, the Sultan has never left.
      The Sultan is probably the most exotic and mysterious of the New Orleans
      ghosts. [
      http://goneworleans.about.com/od/ghostsandhauntings/a/The-Sultans-Palace.htm
      ]Here's his story.

      The beautiful Octoroon, Julie, was the mistress of wealthy Frenchmen in
      the early 1800's. Julie's master kept her in great style on a fine home on
      Royal Street. He provided her with fine clothes and jewelry. He made
      certain she had the best cuisine to dine on and servants to take care of
      everything for her. The Frenchman would come to Julie most evenings and
      the two made passionate love in the sultry New Orleans nights. But, Julie
      made one big mistake, she fell in love with the handsome Frenchman and
      talked of marriage many times. The Frenchman was also in love, but
      marriage to a woman with 1/8 black blood was unthinkable at that time.
      Finally, Julie's master agreed to the marriage, if Julie could prove her
      love for him. He promised Julie that if she spent the night outside, naked
      he would marry her. This was in December. The Frenchman was certain that
      Julie would stay outside for a while and come into her warm room before
      too long. Unfortunately, the master was wrong. In the morning, he found
      his beautiful Julie, naked and lifeless outside on her balcony. Now on the
      coldest December nights Julie can be seen walking on her roof, naked.

      I would guess the most haunted house and the most evil doings went on in
      the Lalaurie Mansion in the French Quarter. Arguably, the most haunted
      house in New Orleans the Lalaurie Mansion has surely endured the most
      gruesome history, and its reputation for otherworldly visitations is
      well-deserved and well-documented. Once the lavish home of Dr. Louis
      LaLaurie and his wife, Delphine, this mansion was suddenly revealed to be
      the grisly scene of experimentation on slaves when a fire broke out in
      1835. [ http://goneworleans.about.com/od/famouslandmarks/a/Lalaurie.htm
      ]Read the entire story.

      [ http://goneworleans.about.com/od/theate1/a/lepetittheatre.htm ]Le Petit
      Theatre is nearly 100 years old and has operated as a community theater in
      the French Quarter since its beginning. It is undergoing some renovations
      now and it will be interesting to see if its resident ghost, a handsome
      man in 19th century evening dress, will attend the new opening.

      There are many other ghosts in New Orleans. Some in [
      http://goneworleans.about.com/od/hotels/tp/hauntedhotels.htm ]hotels, some
      in [ http://goneworleans.about.com/od/nightlife/p/hauntedbars.htm ]bars,
      and some, like our Carney, in ordinary New Orleans homes.