File - membership_faq

  • SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 130 , Sep 1, 2011
      Welcome To SciFiNoir Literature

      SciFiNoir Literature is hosted by Tracey L. Minor and is run without charge for the benefit of fans and contributors from all backgrounds to speculative fiction. If you wish to join and maintain membership in the list, you must agree to the guidelines below. Also included in this document is information designed to help you get the most out of your membership. These guideline were created in response to feedback from SciFiNoir Literature Members. Save this message to make the most of your SciFiNoir Literature membership.

      SCIFINOIR Literature FAQ & Guidelines
      Created: October 13, 2002

      1. What is SciFiNoir Literature
      2. Why a special list on speculative fiction literature for people of color?
      3. Who is on the list
      4. Important addresses
      5. Posting a message to SciFiNoir Literature for the whole group to view
      6. Introductions:
      7. Membership Options: Help I love the group, but I am receiving too many emails!
      8. Complaints: I have a problem where do I go to obtain help?
      9. Off-topic subjects
      10. Private conversations
      11. Attachments:
      12. Formatted text:
      13. Spamming - Can I promote my business?
      14. Flaming - What about personal verbal attacks?
      15. Why are the rules so harsh?
      16. Submit your suggestions
      17. Reminders

      1. What is SciFiNoir Literature
      SciFiNoir Literature is a community of people from a variety of ethnic backgrounds who have a deep appreciation for any and all literature involving speculative fiction. In a addition to traditional science fiction, members are also free to discuss horror, paranormal, scifi erotica, fantasy, paranormal, sci fi romance, and Afrofuturism. Particular emphasis is placed on discussing how people of color ( African American, Asian American, Hispanic, and native American) and women are addressed in speculative fiction or treated in the industries that promote the genre. Fans, creative contributors and critics participate on the list. We will help to keep you up-to-date on what's going on in speculative fiction, the people of color involved, and its impact on people of color. In addition to lively discussion, we will provide you with profiles, news, event announcements and more!!

      2. Why a special list on speculative fiction literature for people of color?
      This list was set up after I became aware that the stereotype that only white males were interested in speculative fiction was not true. I was not alone in my love of the genre. There were others like myself. Over the past few years, I continued to meet women and other people of color that felt as I did about speculative fiction. I also noticed that most of us were not always comfortable about expressing our thoughts about the portrayal and treatment of people of color and women in the genre. The original Scifinoir list grew out of a desire to establish a place online where people could come and find others with similar interests, support for their creativity, and openly express their feelings about race and speculative fiction. I created this list because the other list became dominated by discussions on speculative fiction TV and Film which downed out the voices of those interested in speculative fiction literature. This list is my solution to that problem.

      3. Who is on the list
      This list is comprised of the most diverse group of fans, critics, and contributors to speculative fiction. They come from all walks of life and almost every ethnic background. There are African American, Asian American, Hispanic, Native American, and White people on the list. While the list is dominated by Americans, there are also members from Canada, Puerto Rico, The Caribbean, South America, and Europe. There are students, teachers, writers, artists, screenwriters, comic book producers, accountants, web masters, engineers, parents, grandparents, secretaries, scholars, business-owners, and other people from almost every walk of life you can imagine. This list seeks to reflect the mosaic that makes up our country and the world.

      4. Important addresses
      The following addresses can help you in a variety of ways. With them you can change you subscription, post a message to the group, contact me, or post.

      Community email addresses:
      Post message: SciFiNoir_lit@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: SciFiNoir_lit-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_lit-digest@yahoogroups.com

      Shortcut URL to this page:
      http://www.yahoogroups.com/community/SciFiNoir_lit
      Yahoo Groups Help
      http://help.yahoo.com/help/groups/

      5. Posting a message to SciFiNoir for the whole group to view
      There are two ways in which you can go about posting messages for the group to view.
      a. Send your message via email to: SciFiNoir_lit@yahoogroups.com ( the group name is not case sensitive)
      b. Submitting your message via the egroups web site: After you've signed in, go to SciFiNoir's page, and click post, write your message, and then click Send Message. Note:Go to http://www.yahoogroups.com/post/SciFiNoir_lit

      Note : If you misspell the name of our group, or attempt to send an email from an account other than the one you joined under, your message will not be delivered. If you receive a failure notice, check your email addresses and try again.

      6. Introductions
      It is a great idea for new members to introduce themselves because of the many benefits. When new members post their profiles, it helps them to quickly identify and connect with others on the the who list lives in the same region of the country, and those that have the similar interests. It is also a great way authors, screenwriters, comic book producers working in speculative fiction to make their presence known.

      When posting your profile include your name, and location in the subject line so that others in your area will quickly read your email. Do not send the email to me, but post it at SciFiNoir_lit@yahoogroups.com and watch all the welcoming messages come in!

      7. Membership Options: Help!! I love the group, but I am receiving too many emails.
      While many of you love science fiction, your schedule, or email host may not allow for the volume of email that is generated by this list. Before you leave us, I would like to explore your other options. They are as follows:

      a. Digest version -You can also opt to receive all your SciFiNoir Literature messages in one big email, once a day by doing the following:
      send a blank email to SciFiNoir_lit-digest@yahoogroups.com
      Note: sometimes long digests cut off the part of the message but you can view full messages in the archive at: http://www.yahoogroups.com/messages/SciFiNoir_lit
      Messages can be viewed by date, thread and number. There is also a search feature.

      b. Web access only.
      Did you know we a had a newsgroup feature in which you can access the messages via the web and continue to participate? ( like a bulletin board or usenet) To do so, see the instructions below.
      Go to http://www.yahoogroups.com/subscribe/SciFiNoir_lit?referer=1
      Under membership options, select the Don't send me email, I'll read the messages at the Web site option.
      You can view full messages in the archive at: http://www.yahoogroups.com/messages/SciFiNoir_lit
      Messages can be viewed by date, thread and number. There is also a search feature.

      c. Get a free email addresss just for SciFiNoir email. eg. http://www.hotmail.com, http://mail.yahoo.com

      9. Complaints: I have a problem where do I go to obtain help?
      a. Complaints about content, flames,spamming, OT subject should be addressed to me at: SciFiNoir_lit-owner@yahoogroups.com
      b. Complaints concerning technical issues should be forwarded to the yahoogroups technical staff. You can post your complaint at: http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/groups-38.html

      10. Off-topic subjects
      While off-topic subjects are allowed, they are permitted with restrictions. The subject can only be continued for exactly 24 hours following the first post on the subject thread. Not adhering to this policy, could bring about the penalty of you being banned for two weeks from the list. If you do not see the message until after the thread has discontinued, post your response directly to those who were participating in the conversation. Use your CC feature of your email client. DO NOT RESPOND TO OFF-TOPIC THREADS AFTER THEY HAVE STOPPED. DOING SO COULD GET YOU TEMPORARILY BANNED FOR TWO WEEKS!!

      11.Private conversations
      When messages become private and are not relevant to SciFi, move that conversation to a more appropriate forum. By using the CC: feature of your email client, your can include as many people as you would like in a private conversation.

      12. Attachments:
      Attachments to the list are also not allowed as requested by the members.

      13. Formatted text
      Because there are those who still use plain text email readers, we ask that your please do not send formatted, stylized, or HTMLized messages to the list. People using plain text readers will not be able to read your formatted codes.

      14. Spamming - Can I promote my business?
      Creative contributors to speculative fiction (authors, screen writers, reviewers, book publishers, magazine publishers, web-site content creators, artists, etc) are permitted to promote their creations/ products on the list. All others, including online scifi retailers are not permitted to promote their products or services on the list. Doing so, will result in you being banned and also being reported to egroups, who will ban you from all egroups. Please do not admonish anyone on the list for breaking what you perceive as a list guideline. It will only embarrass them. Just send a note to the list host at scifinoir_lit-owner@yahoogroups.com, and we will inform them confidentially.

      To get information on targeted advertising solutions at Yahoo Groups go to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/advertising/.
      When our web site launches we will announce advertising options for those on a tight budget.

      15. Flaming - What about personal verbal attacks?
      We ask that if you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all. This is a public forum and personal attacks are not permitted. If such attacks continue, you will be removed from the list. While an openness about your feelings about how different ethnic groups or sexes are addressed in speculative fiction or treated in the industries that promote speculative fiction is welcome and encouraged, expressions of hostility aimed directly at a person on the list will not be tolerated. If you must let that person know how you feel, send a message directly to him or her. Feel free to CC: the other people you want included in the dialogue.

      When a flaming war ensues, don't assume I know what is going on. I may not be following the thread, so let me know! When submitting a complaint to me at scifinoir_lit-owner@yahoogroups.com, please include what the subject heading is, so that I can go back to review the conversation thread and determine what must be done.

      If I am informed that someone has been sending flames on the list. I will send a private message to the offending party or parties, giving a warning requesting that they discontinue or risk being banned from the group. That person or persons will also be sent a copy of the policy to remind him or her about the rules for participating on the list. The person being attacked will be notified that action is being taken and be requested to not respond to any other public messages on that subject. The Group will receive a message indicated that the thread is to be discontinued.

      If the offending party does not heed my warning and continues with the flaming, they will be banned from the list. Members that have been on the list for three months or more, with no previous history of flaming will be banned for a period of one week - to - one month, depending on the severity of the infraction. All other members violating the policy and not heeding the warning will be banned permanently.

      Please do not admonish anyone on the list for breaking what you perceive as a list guideline. It will only embarrass them. Just send a note to the list host at scifinoir_lit-owner@yahoogroups.com, and we will inform them confidentially.

      15. Why are the rules so harsh?
      The list guidelines may seem harsh, but that is not the intent. They are there to make sure that the List runs smoothly for of all participants. The rules are designed for the protection of the SciFiNoir and its membership as a whole and is implemented accordingly.

      16. Submit your suggestions
      If you have an idea about how to improve or enhance the list please forward it to scifinoir_lit-owner@yahoogroups.com.

      17. Reminders
      Members will receive the SCIFINOIR FAQ & Guidelines once a month so that they will remember what the rules are and how to make the most of their experience with ScFiNoir.

      If you have additional questions, please contact me using the e-mail address below and I will get back to you a soon as I am able. Thanks for subscribing to SciFiNoir. I hope it will be a rewarding experience for you!

      Tracey L. Minor, SciFiNoir Mailing List Founder