I concur, Mr. Hawking

  • Timothy
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2010
      HUMAN TRIAL II: ADAN'S WAR will be released in late May. HUMAN TRIAL is still available. With that in mind, I'm no doubt more Stephen King than Stephen Hawking, but Mr. Hawking and I agree on one thing. See below...

      Stephen Hawking: Humans Should Fear Aliens

      First Posted: 04-25-10 11:19 AM | Updated: 04-25-10 11:33 AM
      digg Share this on Facebook Huffpost - stumble reddit del.ico.us RSS
      19diggsdigg
      1,978
      50
      Read More: Aliens, Slidepollajax, Stephen Hawking, Stephen Hawking Aliens, Stephen Hawkings Aliens, Steven Hawking, Technology News

      World renowned scientist Stephen Hawking believes extraterrestrial life almost certainly exists -- and humans should be extremely cautious about interacting with it.

      "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational," Hawking says in a new Discovery Channel series called Stephen Hawking's Universe. "The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like."

      He suggests that aliens might simply raid Earth for its resources and then move on: "We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach."

      He concludes that trying to make contact with alien races is "a little too risky". He said: "If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."

      Previously, Hawking has argued that humans must colonize space in order to survive and thrive. "Sooner or later disasters such as an asteroid collision or a nuclear war could wipe us all out," he told Britain's Royal Society in a 2006 speech. "But once we spread out into space and establish independent colonies, our future should be safe."
    • Uncle Ruckus
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 27, 2010
        "I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach."

        (And this guy is supposed to be a genius! All he can imagine about extraterrestial life is that they might be something like "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

        Suppose extra terrestial life is not carbon based or oxygen breathing or travels without use of ships? Suppose all our "riches" are valueless to them--that they are energy or gas beings?)

        Then Mr. Hawking, the great Humanitarian (oh, the sunlight just shines out his arse) says this)

        ---If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans---

        (But then follows it up with this)

        ---Sooner or later disasters such as an asteroid collision or a nuclear war could wipe us all out," he told Britain's Royal Society in a 2006 speech. "But once we spread out into space and establish independent colonies, our future should be safe."---

        (In other words, it would be allright for us to trash this planet and then go out to the stars and trash more but nobody else--odd, isn't that what he thinks the world conquering aliens might do?

        This guy has seen "Independence Day" too many times!)

      • Tim
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27, 2010
          Interesting point that alien life might not be carbon based, etc. These trips to space could result in something hitching a ride back (assuming it won't burn up on re-entry) and we're completely unknowing.

          Yes, I believe there's "something" out there, and it is fun to speculate (and write) about.

          Tim
          -----

          Visit me at: www.stellyhumantrial.com or http://www.myspace.com/pittwit

          Human Trial is still available from amazon.com and allthingsthatmatterpress.com. Paperback $18.99, e-book (kindle) format, $10.99.

          Read the Brian Barbeito review of HUMAN TRIAL at: http://www.useless-knowledge.com/1234/09apr/article008.html. Read more online reviews at amazon.com and http://www.bookfinder4u.com/customer_reviews.bfu?isbn=0982272200

          "Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they can have an excuse to drink alcohol." -- Steve Martin
          COMING SOON: HUMAN TRIAL II: ADAM'S WAR

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 28, 2010
            (Yes, I believe that was the plot of The Andromeda Strain. Could be, again, though I wonder if something that can live or lay dormat in the cold vaccuum of space would suddenly awake and start conquering the world--always conquering the world. Suppose it came back and provided a cure for cancer or a source of infinite energy?

            I think its worth taking a chance--

            On the other hand, I think that humans in space is a waste and exploration could be done by robots--but mostly for economic reasons.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2010
              In fact, if these aliens have anything on the ball, they already know we're here. Consider these things:

              Heavily settled areas of earth are lit up like a Xmas tree at night, to say nothing of Interstate highways. If they approach from the dark side of earth they're sure to see it.

              There have been radio transmissions for one hundred years. These too can be detected and heard from space.

              Atomic power and nuclear test explosions. They have set off blast light that has continued on out into the ether.

              Unless he is advocating we bury everything under ground, use only fiber optic cables for all communications and don't move around at night, they have spotted us.

              In which case it might be wise to try to contact them. If hostile, they would know we suspect they are there. If friendly, they might be convinced that we are not just apes with technology, but reasoning beings that accept the possibility of intelligent life in the Universe besides ours and the need to get along with it.

              Unless they just barge onto the planet, they are sure to scout it out with probes or scouts.
            • Tim

                Message 7 of 7 , May 3, 2010
                  (Then nothing for Hawking to be scared of, eh?)