Phillip K. Dick: The paranoid prophet

  • Kelwyn
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2010
      http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan/24/entertainment/la-ca-philip-k-dick24-2010jan24

      " When, one evening in 1976, Philip K. Dick invited Tim Powers to his Fullerton apartment, the Cal State student expected the kind of night he often passed with the science-fiction titan: a wide-ranging conversation, fueled by wine and beer, about religion, philosophy and Beethoven. The night began the usual way. But it took a strange turn as Dick's wife, Tessa, and her brother began grabbing lamps and chairs. "She and her brother were carrying things out of the house," recalls Powers. "I said, `Phil, they're taking stuff, is this OK?' " " `Powers, let me give you some advice, in case you should ever find yourself in this position,' Dick said. `Never oversee or criticize what they take. It's not worth it. Just see what you've got left afterward, and go with that.' "And then," Powers recalls, "her brother said, `Could you guys lift your glasses? We want the table.'
      — Scott Timberg in the LAT, via 3QuarksDaily