Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] What was the last SF novel you read that made you go "WOW!"?

  • ravenadal
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2009
      I believe Butler's "Parable" novels transcend genre and are great literature. I own "The Sparrow" but I have not yet read it. Thanks for the impetus to move it up in my cue. I have heard good things about "Little Brother." LeGuin's "The Left Hand of Darkness" was a game changer for me, but I read it a decade before "Neuromancer."

      ~rave!

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2009
        (Charlie Stross' Accelerando

        SciFiNoir was Walter Moseley's Futureland.)

        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@...> wrote:

        > What was the last SF novel you read that made you go "WOW!" And, by that, I mean the last novel that made your head spin around. For me it was William Gibson's "Neuromancer" and that was published in 1984, twenty-five years ago!
        >
        > By-the-by, I am only interested in novel novels - do not summit graphic novels.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > ~rave!

      • B. Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2009
          Stephen Baxter's Vacuum Diagrams. It's a collection of stories and novellas that gives an overview of his Xeelee universe.

          --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hayden" <belsidus2000@...> wrote:

          > (Charlie Stross' Accelerando
          >
          > SciFiNoir was Walter Moseley's Futureland.)
          >
          > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@> wrote:
          > >
          > > What was the last SF novel you read that made you go "WOW!" And, by that, I mean the last novel that made your head spin around. For me it was William Gibson's "Neuromancer" and that was published in 1984, twenty-five years ago!
          > >
          > > By-the-by, I am only interested in novel novels - do not summit graphic novels.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > ~rave!

        • maidmarian_thepoet
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 22, 2009
            A belated answer:

            "Air" by Geoff Ryman
            This is the 3rd book of his that I've loved. There were so many literary problems that he was able to overcome in this short novel...including the lost of viewpoint character for several chapters.