What was the last SF novel you read that made you go "WOW!"?

  • ravenadal
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31 4:49 AM
      What was the last SF novel you read that made you go "WOW!" And, by that, I mean the last novel that made your head spin around. For me it was William Gibson's "Neuromancer" and that was published in 1984, twenty-five years ago!

      By-the-by, I am only interested in novel novels - do not summit graphic novels.

      Thanks,

      ~rave!
    • Timothy Stelly, Sr.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31 8:18 AM
        I'm not sure i qualifies as sci-fi, but "Long Voyage Back," Luke Rhiinehart.

        Tim
        ------
        ------

        "Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they can have an excuse to drink alcohol." -- Steve Martin****************Human Trial is still available from amazon.com and allthingsthatmatterpress.com. Paperback $18.99, e-book (kindle) format, $10.99

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31 10:17 AM
          "Parable of the Sower" by Octavia Butler
          "The Moon and the Sun" by Vanda McIntyre
          "The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell
          "Otherland" by Tad Williams
          "Little Brother" by Cory Doctorow
          "Gifts," "Voices," & "Powers" by Ursula LeGuin

          These are the few that jumped in my mind--some read just a few months ago, all read since the 90's.

          Andrea

          To: SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31 10:33 AM
            I believe Butler's "Parable" novels transcend genre and are great literature. I own "The Sparrow" but I have not yet read it. Thanks for the impetus to move it up in my cue. I have heard good things about "Little Brother." LeGuin's "The Left Hand of Darkness" was a game changer for me, but I read it a decade before "Neuromancer."

            ~rave!

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2009
              (Charlie Stross' Accelerando

              SciFiNoir was Walter Moseley's Futureland.)

              --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@...> wrote:

              > What was the last SF novel you read that made you go "WOW!" And, by that, I mean the last novel that made your head spin around. For me it was William Gibson's "Neuromancer" and that was published in 1984, twenty-five years ago!
              >
              > By-the-by, I am only interested in novel novels - do not summit graphic novels.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > ~rave!

            • B. Smith
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11, 2009
                Stephen Baxter's Vacuum Diagrams. It's a collection of stories and novellas that gives an overview of his Xeelee universe.

                --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hayden" <belsidus2000@...> wrote:

                > (Charlie Stross' Accelerando
                >
                > SciFiNoir was Walter Moseley's Futureland.)
                >
                > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@> wrote:
                > >
                > > What was the last SF novel you read that made you go "WOW!" And, by that, I mean the last novel that made your head spin around. For me it was William Gibson's "Neuromancer" and that was published in 1984, twenty-five years ago!
                > >
                > > By-the-by, I am only interested in novel novels - do not summit graphic novels.
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > ~rave!

              • maidmarian_thepoet
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 22, 2009
                  A belated answer:

                  "Air" by Geoff Ryman
                  This is the 3rd book of his that I've loved. There were so many literary problems that he was able to overcome in this short novel...including the lost of viewpoint character for several chapters.