RE: [SciFiNoir Lit] ...is anybody reading ANYTHING?

  • Jeff Carter
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 17, 2009
      I just just finished the first half pr the Chronicles of amber and am starting the latest in the Dresden books.

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 17, 2009
        Um did you say late Robert Jordan?

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 18, 2009
          "Just After Sunset" a collection of shorts from Stephen King.

          Tim
          ------
          ------

          Now Available--HUMAN TRIAL e-book format ($10.99) from www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/eBookDetails.asp?BookID=137522
          Available in paperback at https://www.createspace.com/3366977
          and Jan. 18 from amazon, borders and allthingsthatmatterpress.com $18.99
            What happens when all that remains of the world is fear, distrust and desperation?   Daron Turner and pregnant co-worker Regina Jackson leads a scattershot group of men and women are left to fend off alien attackers who have waged a thermal war on the earth. The survivors must endure intense heat while warding off marauders, rabid animals and their own prejudices. The aliens desire to use the remaining children on earth for study and hybrid procreation. Daron and his cohorts must decide whether to give up or fight to protect the planet’s future: Regina ’s unborn child.

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 19, 2009
            Samuel Delaney: On Writing

            It's gotten me back to editing my own novel. If I want to see "meater" SF out there, I must be willing to write it. :-)

            I have trouble understanding Delaney's fiction, but his non-fiction is crystal clear and to the point.

            --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@...> wrote:

            > This is supposed to be a SciFiNoir LIT group...is anybody reading ANYTHING...sci fi?
            >
            > ~rave?

          • md_moore42
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 19, 2009
              And for fiction: "The Sound of Building Coffins" by Louis Maistros.

              He's local to New Orleans. The book has some fantasy or magic realism aspects.

              --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@...> wrote:

              > This is supposed to be a SciFiNoir LIT group...is anybody reading ANYTHING...sci fi?
              >
              > ~rave?

            • Jenn
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 20, 2009
                I've been reading a lot of short fiction by Jeffrey Ford lately. Not SciFiNoir but it's pretty wonderful cross-genre work. I highly recommend.

                Jenn

                --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@...> wrote:

                > This is supposed to be a SciFiNoir LIT group...is anybody reading ANYTHING...sci fi?
                >
                > ~rave?

              • Sincere
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 20, 2009
                  yeah... Robert Jordan (James Rigney), Wheel of Time Series author, as of mid
                  Sept. 2007... dead...heart condition...bummer.

                  long awaited thick-as-hell final novel to decide the fate of Rand al'Thor
                  and company...unfinished.

                  Jordan anticpated losing his bout with this illness however and left a horde
                  of notes.

                  the end of the series is currently being finished by Brandon Sanderson...who
                  along with TOR have decided (probably because the books are biblical in
                  page-length, and i'm sure the elongated marketing angle is a bonus) to
                  stretch it out as 3 separate novels. the first hits the shelves this coming
                  Nov.

                  whether Jordan's writing style and wit can be matched by Sanderson, is the
                  big question.

                  press release below:

                  *http://us.macmillan.com/NewsDetails.aspx?id=12669*<http://www.brandonsanderson.com/article/56/Splitting-AMOL>

                  On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Jeff Carter <mbsjeff@...> wrote:

                  > Um did you say late Robert Jordan?

                • Sincere
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 20, 2009
                    One other note... word is Universal Pictures bought the rights to Jordan's
                    works and--in some kind of fantasy fraticidal match-up--there's talk of an
                    "Eye of the World" movie set for 2011, same time as "The Hobbit" sequel. Why
                    anyone would try to make a movie out of Jordan's epic (which spans 15 books)
                    is beyond me. Even if they decide to make it animated (which is rumored by
                    some), it's still waaaaay too much to put on a big screen. And given
                    Jordan's complexity and detail, going to be hard to merge/cut books. Not to
                    mention the screams of bloody murder that would arise from his fans.

                    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117990464.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

                    On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Jeff Carter <mbsjeff@...> wrote:

                    > Um did you say late Robert Jordan?

                  • ravenadal
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 20, 2009
                      --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Tracey de Morsella" <tdlists@...> wrote:

                      What are you reading?>>

                      I am reading Alan Moore's graphic novel "Watchmen" (and enjoying the hell out of it) and the "Octavian Nothing" duology (I adore the language). Although the two Octavian Nothing books take place in pre revolutionary America, they are about a preternaturally gifted young black slave plopped into a strange new world and his first person account of trying to rationally navigate that maddingly contradictory world.

                      ~rave!
                      ________________________________
                      http://theworldebon.blogspot.com
                    • Chaeya
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 20, 2009
                        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@...> wrote:

                        > I LOVE "Childhood's End"! The fact that the last man on earth, astronaut Jan Rodricks, was a black man (as was his sister who Clarke describes as the most beautiful woman in the world) really rocked my world back in my sane and sober youth. I believe Rodricks was the first black person I encountered in a sci-fi novel (outside of Ray Bradbury's black Martians in "The Other Foot" from his collection, "The Illustrated Man"). This book had a profound effect on me.
                        >
                        > ~rave!

                        Thanks for reminding me about that. I have a list of older sci-fi I want to re-read because I was either too young or just forgot about it. Some books manage to stay with me like Brave New World and Contact. But even had I remembered them, I still think they're worth reading again.

                        Chaeya
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 22, 2009
                          (I am re reading it, too, after seeing "The Tales of The Black Freighter" and re-viewing the film again.

                          Funny how the film and dvd kept hitting those lines and scenes from the book and I would key on the image from the book, Dave Simmons work and the movie absolutely hit that scene--the director even portrayed some better.

                          That is the ultimate fanboy superhero experience--again, it will be sort of like a cult film--

                          While I was watching the film again I watched with two minds--fanboy mind in which the comic is imprinted on my brain--and unattached objective mind, which was wondering what the hell all this was about.

                          Totally useless to anybody who is not a diehard historian of the genre--I know the hope. That "Watchmen" will infect the world.

                          It was not to be.

                          The rest of the world wants Super-heroes.

                          Not Masks. Or Watchmen.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 22, 2009
                            In reading "Watchmen," I am most struck by the God, Man and Superman subtext of all the "Who is killing the Masks" drama. Moore posits the notion that there is no God and in the absense of God man must create one while simultaneously arguing that IF there is a God He would be as detached and removed from day-to-day human interaction as Dr. Manhattan.

                            ~rave!

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 29, 2009
                              (I was looking at it again today. It really gets me what an effect this very flawed story has on me--I think it is the ultimate fanboy superhero book--better than "Return of the Dark Knight" by a longshot--I hesitate to call it a graphic novel since it was a miniseries (I remember when it first came out. I was turned off by the stiff artwork and odd narrative--until #4--that episode, "Watchmaker, watchmaker" I consider one of the best pieces of short fiction ever--I mean ever.

                              Alan Moore has not even come close to it--but it would be a tough act to follow.