Chideya: NPR's Response

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2009
      Re: Farai Chideya (Ticket# 02232009K19550001:AR0003)Saturday,
      February 28, 2009 9:26 AM
      From: "Chris Hayden" <belsidus2000@...>To: npr_response@...
      If you are willing to offer NPR support, please do so by supporting
      your local station--by listening, becoming a member, and donating

      Dear Dana:

      Why would I do that and you don't have any African American
      programming?

      Chris Hayden

      --- On Wed, 2/25/09, npr_response@... <npr_response@...>

      From: npr_response@... <npr_response@...>
      Subject: Re: Farai Chideya (Ticket# 02232009K19550001:AR0003)
      To: belsidus2000@...
      Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 4:43 PM

      Dear Chris,

      Thank you for contacting NPR.

      Over the past few months, we have all witnessed the deterioration of
      the national economy. NPR is not immune to this severe downturn. A
      sharp drop in our current and projected corporate underwriting --
      which makes up NPR's second-largest source of revenue --has compelled
      us to reduce expenses immediately.

      On December 10, we announced that we have been forced to reduce our
      workforce by 7 percent and to cancel the NPR-produced programs Day to
      Day and News & Notes, which will end on March 20, 2009. These
      difficult decisions were driven by the economy, and are not a
      judgment of the quality of the programs we eliminated, or the
      contributions of those who are losing their jobs. We are losing
      valued colleagues who have helped to make NPR what it is today.

      Given the publicity that surrounded the bequest from Joan B. Kroc in
      2003, it is understandable to wonder why NPR doesn't draw on it this
      time. Legal restrictions severely limit expenditure of the NPR
      endowment, which includes most of the bequest made by Mrs. Kroc.

      If you are willing to offer NPR support, please do so by supporting
      your local station--by listening, becoming a member, and donating.
      Our stations rely on you for your support, and they are feeling the
      same financial pressures we are facing at NPR. You can find contact
      information for your local NPR Station by visiting,
      http://www.npr.org/stations.

      NPR will always be deeply committed to providing stations and their
      audiences with the best reporting and storytelling in America. With
      public radio's expansion into digital media and continued on-air
      excellence, we are poised for ever greater relevance together in the
      future.

      Thank you for your concern about NPR and the wonderful people who
      make our programs possible. That is deeply appreciated. We hope we
      can count on you to support your local station.

      Sincerely,

      Dana Davis Rehm
      SVP for Strategy and Partnerships
      NPR

      Thank you for listening and for your continued support of public
      broadcasting. For the latest news and information, visit NPR.org.

      Date : 2/23/2009 10:26:23 AM
      Why did you guys fire Farai Chideya?